SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Muscle twitches in early sobriety? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/355363-muscle-twitches-early-sobriety.html)

MissOverIt 01-02-2015 09:22 PM

Muscle twitches in early sobriety?

Hi all, the first couple days I quit drinking sleep wasn't a problem but now since I seem to be leveling out my sleep is getting more difficult. Last night I could only sleep for short periods and was bugged by muscle twitches all night. I think this is normal but have any of you experienced this sort of thing?

Thank you!

leharris111 01-02-2015 09:23 PM

This always happens to me when I drink a lot! It usually goes away within a day or 2. I have xanax for anxiety and that usually helps my muscles relax enough so I can sleep.

MissOverIt 01-02-2015 09:27 PM

Gotcha, thanks!

leharris111 01-02-2015 09:29 PM

Ps. today is day 2 of being sober for me! So, I will let you know if I keep experiencing that!

MelindaFlowers 01-02-2015 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MissOverIt (Post 5113154)
Hi all, the first couple days I quit drinking sleep wasn't a problem but now since I seem to be leveling out my sleep is getting more difficult. Last night I could only sleep for short periods and was bugged by muscle twitches all night. I think this is normal but have any of you experienced this sort of thing?

Thank you!

Yes, this happened to me for probably the first month. It seemed to be mainly in m my legs. My leg would kind of "shoot" out a few inches kind of like a tiny kick. This seemed to happen when I was just dozing off in bed. I think it also happened when I was fully awake but lying on the couch.

I think this happened in my hands too during the day.

At six months sober, neither of these happen anymore.

MissOverIt 01-02-2015 10:06 PM

Good to hear, Melinda :)

SoberD 01-02-2015 10:11 PM

Weird, I didn't think anyone else experienced this - I quit about 6 weeks ago and noticed that it happens every few nights to my legs when trying to sleep...

cusper 01-02-2015 10:20 PM

Yep that happened to me when I first quit too. It lasted a few days to 2 weeks.

Itchy 01-02-2015 10:24 PM

I had that and more when I quit. Having said that, I also had my doc doing bloodwork a couple of times the first month, then he wanted to see me for tests monthly for three more months. It's always prudent to be sure. I did a hospital medical detox because of the risks of seizures. Getting sober has far fewer risks than to continue drinking by far. Nothing wrong with reading your doc in to what you are doing. Notice I said are doing, not trying to do? You've done it, stopped for days. Now just repeat your success. If you have a doc, get him/her on your team. If you can't trust your doc, you need another doc.

Congrats all of you guys! You are making things happen not just watching things happen any more. Way to go!

Itchy 01-02-2015 10:33 PM

Duplicate

Soberwolf 01-03-2015 01:45 AM

I had a bit of that Missoverit it balanced out with sobertime

Not a bad idea to see a doc tho ?

ShenzyT 01-03-2015 02:59 AM

I was going to post and ask the same....
I have a muscle in my arm that keeps having a twitch and same last night - a muscle in my leg kept twitching away.
All fine this morning.

xxxx

leharris111 01-06-2015 12:23 AM

Missoverit, are you still having this? Finishing day 5 and mine are so bad in my legs I can't sleep. I almost fall asleep and then a huge twitch wakes me up! Anyone else have any suggestions for this?

advbike 01-06-2015 12:48 AM

Exercise really helped me with that. And lots of water.

Fam0verFever 01-06-2015 12:59 AM

It's called a hypnic jerk, and yes, for years I have blasted myself and set aside a day or 2 where I knew I would be grossly i'll only to het the bottle to get back to normal and the cycle continued. Having read plenty of posts it would appear that I can expect this to continue for a couple weeks. I feel you're pain on this topic ever so clearly.

leharris111 01-06-2015 10:49 AM

Could Xanax make these worse?

Aiko 01-06-2015 10:58 AM

I got problems with my eye...
two months my left eye lid pulls down when it feels like... now less!
and I had sudden hand shakes at first.

But my eye really really annoys me...
But I was banned from the pills cabinet :whoop

SarahB60 01-06-2015 12:25 PM

I had the twitches as well shortly after detox. My Pdoc told me this was normal from stopping alcohol.

muddywaters 01-06-2015 05:50 PM

I still twitch a little, and I quit November 14th. Pretty heavy for the first 3 weeks. Especially after working out.

Not nearly as bad now.

Alwyshope12 01-06-2015 06:11 PM

I had lots of twitching the first few weeks after quitting. I thought it was because my CNS was adjusting to life without alcohol.

Over time, it became less burdensome, and finally is starting to go away... Now I just get minor twitches one or twice a week. The body must be healing itself!!!

From what I understand, some people get these and others don't.