Notices

Fighting hard but not in the clear yet

Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Fighting hard but not in the clear yet

Last night was tough. My family had a bunch of company over for New Year's Day and there was alcohol EVERYWHERE. I must admit I had a few drinks after two days without any drinking. I fought the urges so hard but I let them get to me.

However, I take a little pride in the fact that I again stopped myself in the middle of it when I really wanted to continue drinking. The AV is really giving me a run for my money and it is taking every ounce of willpower to resist it. I don't know why I am having so much trouble winning this battle but I am fighting it as best I can. I need to find my mojo!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

The important thing is you stopped mns and your bk

What do you think you could do to strenghten your sobriety ?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, mns.

Have you disposed of the left-over alcohol in your house?

Attempts at moderation invariably lead us down a dangerous path. I echo what SW said about strengthening your efforts/plan.

Happy New Year, mns.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I don't know soberwolf. I am usually a very intrinsically motivated person. I've always been able to push myself to do things without any external motivators. But I have been letting people help me out lately. All of my relatives were saying how proud they were that I am going back to finish my college degree. So I do have people encouraging me, telling me that 2015 will be "my year", but I still feel like I am in this alone for some reason. I am just having trouble summoning my inner drive right now.

I mentioned in another post that the winter where I live has been very dreary. Weeks of clouds and very little sunshine. That certainly doesn't help lift my spirits.

I think maybe just need to buckle down and really keep looking head and focusing on my goals. Finishing college, starting a career, finding a girl who doesn't just want to go out to bars. It's just hard.

But I believe in the saying that the night is darkest just before the dawn. I have faith that I will pull myself out of this and good things will start happening soon enough.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

SoberLeigh, I live in my parents home. Usually any alcohol in our house is stowed away and has never been an issue for me in the past being sober. I was just immersed in it yesterday during our New Year's party. I guess maybe nostalgia is kicking in as well, as it was around this time of year 5 years ago that my problems with alcohol started. Back then I enjoyed it and didn't care. Now I just want to be over it for good.

And happy new year to you as well!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mns, I couldn't have managed in a setting like that in early sobriety either. I tried and it didn't work. I had to stay away from places where there was alcohol for many months.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exposure to alcohol during this holiday season has been problematic for many SR-ers.

It can be especially difficult to stay sober when you are young and so many of the people your age use the bar scene as a gathering place and a place to meet new people.

A google search for "sober activities and (name of your city or town)" might give younsomenideas of something do that doesn't involve alcohol.

Stay close to SR; log-on and read and post often. I have SR to be a very powerful tool.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad you are back, mns.

This is helpful when your AV is shouting:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Hang in there, lean on us more, we will support you.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Yes SoberLeigh it is tough being this age and finding friends who want to do something that doesn't involve drinking in some way. I will try the google search thing and see what I can find.

And thank you for that link JanieJ. I will look over it later tonight when I am done work and likely to be feeling urges.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I discovered that the part of me who wants to keep on drinking when I've been successful at times 'proving I can moderate' is the same part of me that uses the 'evidence of moderation' to help me stop bothering to worry about moderating.... And then eventually I don't. Or I resent the moderation subconsciously and tee up a good payback binge.

Eventually in my life it became obvious; when I was successful moderating it only left me inwardly grumpy and wanting more, and never led anywhere other than eventually to the next blackout.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I agree FreeOwl. I am coming to terms with the fact that I can't control myself in moderation. Once I have one drink I pretty much have to have more.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mns have you spoke to a Doc about S.a.d ?

There are lamps you can buy from the pharmacy to help with this

Make an apt with doc possibly ?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Yes soberwolf I am looking into the light therapy. Haven't talked to my doctor yet just doing some research right now.