Notices

if you don't ask, you don't want

Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
love is the answer

if you don't ask, you don't want

Well I'm hanging again and some brutal honesty has made me realise I relapsed because I didn't ask for help.

When those cravings popped up and the av suggested it would be ok to have a drink ("heyyyyy, it's CHRISTMAS, you gotta have a drink at Christmas") I should have come here (my 'meeting').

But I didn't.

I listened to that stupid av and had one.

And another.

Etc etc.

So I commit to reaching out for help as soon as the av pipes up or the cravings start. I can't do this on my own.

I am all in.

100% committed.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

learning that it was not only ok to reach out, but necessary probably saved my life
Good to see you back mystified

D
Old 01-02-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Mystified

Nice to see you on SR.

I had to retrain my brain last year so that reaching out became my default and to not listen to the AV telling me I was weak and useless, deprived, missing out....insert any other line...and a drink would be best.

I use AA, SR and saw my doctor and with brutal honesty said what had been going on. That got me a referral for some CBT counselling. As you are in the UK maybe worth seeing what the NHS can do for you too?

All the best !
Old 01-02-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No matter what it takes, as long as we keep trying, we can win this battle.
I know you can do this, and we are all with you.

V xx
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Mystified
I can't do it alone either.
SR is fantastic - so much support.
I also went to my Dr last week - was totally honest and she was so understanding. She's referred me to the local Alcohol Counselling Group and has asked me in form some bloods to be done next week, just to check the liver function etc....
Tell the av where to get off....

xxx
Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mysti yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I tried moderation all last year and yep same as you Xmas, well in fact most of December, was a disaster. I too kept thinking there's no way I can get through Xmas without a drink so gave up giving up. I didn't even try to ask for help.

I think you are spot on for asking for help before the av gets louder. I read somewhere on here something along the lines of the closer you stay tethered to the shores of SR the greater your chances of success. Its when those ties are cut loose and you start drifting away that you increase your risk of listening to the av..
Old 01-02-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Mystified reaching out is one of the big tools of sobriety as Purpleknight & Lbrain sometimes say get that 2nd opinion

i understand as in 3 months of trying i never reached out once but once i did i realised how much it helps

and it really is paying off good luck Mystified
Old 01-02-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was always the kid who wanted to do it all by myself. I don't need help, thank you very much. I've had to retrain myself to know I need help. I need to ask for it. And not just when it comes to the AV or cravings, but in all areas of my life where I might be tempted to drink to solve whatever problem I'm facing.

It's like draining the poison. If I voice it and ask for help, or just even voice it, it gives the AV far less material to work with. Reaching out didn't come easy and didn't happen overnight but I can do it. You can too. Good luck. Hang in there. Remind yourself to ask and don't forget people are here to help and support you. Too many times the AV would tell me that no one wanted to hear my stupid problems so why bother? That's a lie.

Keep asking. Keep reaching out. We are here.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought I could do it on my own too but I've had to call a counselor a couple of times and join this board today.... I'm glad I did. If I have to seek out more help in the future so be it. I'm not afraid anymore