Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm ashamed to have to post that I'm starting over with sobriety

Notices

I'm ashamed to have to post that I'm starting over with sobriety

Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

May this be the turning point for you in a life of sobriety, joy and REAL living.

We're here for you.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you made it back in here jmb.

I never had to go to the hospital for my drinking but came darn close many times. I remember once I woke up in some stranger's yard at four in the morning with fire ants crawling all over me. Though I don't remember doing it, I guess I had decided to walk home from the bar to my house (couple of miles walk) and got sleepy on the way so just passed out in this random yard on top of an ant hill. Had over a hundred bites on my right arm before I finally woke up. Stupidly I didn't go to the hospital but instead self-medicated with a combination of Benadryl and more alcohol once I got home.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You are fortunate to be alive. My mother died from complications two months after she vomited into her lungs.

This is a great wake up call. I hope you run with it!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm starting over too. You'd think a bout of pancreatitis would have "cured" me, right? Well, I started back in again as my divorce was being finalized. My 2 weeks of year-end vacation have gone by in a drunken haze. And right now, my gut hurts again.

I'm done.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Don't be ashamed this struggle is something everyone here shares and everyone knows it is difficult. I am going through a struggle of my own with trying to find my way back on the right path. Being ashamed doesn't help because this isn't easy for anyone. Forgive yourself and keep trying.

What happened to you sounds horrible. But sometimes things like that can be all you need to get yourself in the game.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Your story scared the bejeezus out of me. That could easily be me and could have been many many times over the years. Thank you for your honest post. A little shock into reality.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back jm

I had a scare too and it stopped me drinking. What kept me sober tho was a solid plan and a solid support base (and using that support).

This can definitely be your turning point just as it was for me back in 07
Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

JM I'm glad you are OK. As Scott says we can forget the impact of these horrible experiences with time although they do provide motivation in the beginning. Perhaps print your post and put it in your wallet or somewhere you'll read it regularly?

Maybe joining the January class would help too?

Go well JM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you posting and ready to start again. I had many embarrassing and dangerous events before I finally got it that I can't touch the stuff. There is no control - all roads lead to disaster and misery. You are going to do it this time - we are with you.