Notices

Best book to read for beating this

Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best book to read for beating this

Can anyone recommend a book to pick up and read to help assist in abstinence from alcohol? Maybe help me understand why I am an alcoholic and the science behind addiction etc

I woke up in a pool of my own vomit on January 1st. What an awful way to start the year. I need to kick this habit in the ass and get healthy. I need to Lose some weight and not binge drink anymore.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jason Vale kick drink easily recommend 100% got me to change the way I think , please read it !
Old 01-02-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

There's lots out there, Scared. Personally I found Jack Trimpey's Addictive Voice Recognition method the best. He's written a book and than audiobook - Google avrt crash course

I also found that reading and posting on here gave me so much strength and commitment that it's now 2 months since my last drink and I'm loving it......

...you can do it mate - welcome to the forum
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp
The Easy Way to Quit Drinking by Allan Carr

were useful for me

there are hundreds of recommended books here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Big book of alcoholics anonymous.
It seems that just reading books and getting an understanding of the science behind alcoholism doesn't appear to be enough for many. But I hope it helps ya.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I recommend the "AVRT Crash Course". It's more of a cliffnotes of Jack Trimpey's writings available right here for freeSecular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-02-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have read many books and none helped keep me sober. They helped me understand alcoholic thinking, and alcoholism, and presented various means to quit - but none helped me quit. For me, the most important factors were commitment and motivation.

For a concise presentation of the science, Under The Influence is a good start. Academic alcoholism journals are a good source for more up to date information.

Sober for Good is an excellent resource that presents what worked for long term sober people, rather than presenting a specific method.

I really liked Unwasted as it detailed her first year not drinking, as opposed to documenting years of active alcoholism with very little of the sober part. The author follows an AA approach, if that matters to you.

My favorite is Between Drinks because it presents a straightforward approach with solid reasoning that does not demonize drinking.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Naturally I’m prejudice but the overwhelming choice for many years and most successful is the BIG BOOK called Alcoholics Anonymous. I may be off a bit but it’s the most widely read book with comparison to the Bible.

If the first 164 pages are closely followed and lived by you will not drink again.

Millions have used it successfully for a lot of years.

BE WELL
Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read everything I could get my hands on all summer while I was trying to get sober but still drinking on weekends. My kindle must have a dozen books including most of those mentioned in this thread. Now I listen to recovery podcasts during my daily commute and spend a lot of my free time right here on SR. They all have helped me maintain my commitment to sobriety. No one book or podcast got me sober (64 days today) but they have kept me focused. I can't afford to forget that I don't drink.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Scared1234,
I also recommend The Big Book, of AA. The Doctors Opinion and the first 164 pages will be a great start for you in understanding our disease, and never drinking again. In many areas, there are AA meetings that are "Big Book" Study Groups. I attend one once a week, ran it this last week, and we read a couple pages and each person discusses how they relate to the reading. I stayed sober for 10 years following the AA program and am now firmly committed to leading a sober life. It works if you work it. The 12 step program as outlined in Chapter 5 "How it works" will change your life, if you get a sponsor and truly work the program. It is a way of life, and living sober is total freedom. I wish you the best, it works for me and many others. The SR community has a tremendous amount of wisdom here. Keep posting.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

When I came to SR I saw mention of AVRT, this lead me to the book Rational Recovery The New Cure for Substance Addiction. A lot of the ideas therein resonated. You can google the AVRT free online crash course and see what you think.
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

D's link is awesome

My first book in sobriety was the living sober book that book seriously helped me
Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One of my bosses wrote a book about his struggle that really helped me understand where I was at and begin the change it's called "breaking through" by Allan McDougall.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If you feel that your way forward will lie in self empowerment as I did, I recommend the SMART materials and Rational Recovery - The New Cure for Substance Addiction. You can get the books, but there is a wealth of material available for free at the respective websites. I found Eckhart Tolle's The New Earth and The Power of Now to be very useful and inspiring.

I also recommend looking into Sober Recovery's Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information forum. You will find a lot of support there for you too!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

there are many....but Jason Vale did it for me.....good luck
Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm sorry about your experience. I agree, that must of been so scary. For books I really liked Sober of Good at the start of my journey this summer. Kind of a "soft" book about research on alcoholism and different stories. Then some memoirs like "Drunk Mom" and "Dry" showed me the rock bottom of things. I do recommend alternating with less heavy stuff though. I find when I read too much about alcoholism I start to get depressed. Is there a hobbie you always wanted to explore? Perhaps get some books or magazines on that sort of thing too.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The big book!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sober For Good by Anne Fletcher was a great survey of how many long termers got and stayed sober. I bought that book in 2003 and have read it twice.

Staying Sober by Terence Gorski was a book that has given me practical help with preventing relapse.

Drinking: A Love Story is the best memoir, in my opinion. At least, I related well to the author in many ways.

Ernest Kurtz books are great too.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've read a lot. An oldie, but a goodie is the Big Book of AA.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA member

Alcoholics Anonymous (The Big Book.)

Living Sober was the book I had by my side in my early days of sobriety.