Notices

Sleep tips

Old 01-01-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep tips

Hi all,

This is becoming a problem for me and had to take today off work. I went to bed about 10 pm had to be up at 530 but couldnt actually go to sleep. Wasnt going to work on 2 hours sleep.

Any tips on getting sleep? I wont be going to the doc. For sleeping tablets. Its just that I think the alcohol used to knock me out. On the upside im not hungover but still feel a bit like it sometimed from lack of sleep.

Any tips/ personal experience be great. Sober day 39 today. Still not feeling 100% but sliwly getting there.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

chamomile tea, kava, lavender, melatonin... Ive had alot of sleep issues the last few months. i have gone to work on 2 hours sleep. That was a nightmare. Since I am an alcoholic I cant take prescribed sleep meds.

Welcome!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some really useful things here Justin.

Relaxation Techniques | University of Maryland Medical Center

by day 39 though, I'd have expected any withdrawal related things to have settled down.

I know you don't want meds, but that shouldn't stop you getting professional medical help if you need it?

Any supplements that may get suggested in this thread I think it's best to run by a Dr anyway - whats worked for someone else may not work, or even be suitable, for you.

D
Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you aren't falling asleep, get up and do something. Either watch TV or I love reading in the dark on a tablet. Take your mind off things. If I just lie there I get more stressed out.

Insomnia is just awful, although mine got a lot better in a few weeks. You should definitely see a doctor. There are more options other than drugs.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good advice Kero. I too have insomnia, thankfully it comes and goes. I find that just getting up and doing something helps, seems to make me more tired, and eventually I go to sleep. Although I have read being in front of a computer screen isn't the best. I drink chamomile tea, and dab lavender on a cloth to breath in near my head. I refuse to use medication for it. My Mother used to fall asleep reading. There is a wealth of info on the internet to calm down and relax.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whats a doctor going to do Dee no offense? I actually havent found them very useful to be honest.Its not withdrawel per se its the lifestyle of sleeping easier whilst drinking which I think is common.

The purpise of forums like this is to fain from insight and experience.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, Justin

If there's a definable reason for your insomnia they could help a lot, or refer you to someone who can help.

I mean what else are you gonna do if this keeps on? No one else can diagnose you here if it is a medical proiblem.

try the link I posted first tho - it personally helped me.

D
Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im sipping sleepy time tea right now with 2 bags in it. My new "double".

Last night I didnt get to sleep until 7am and woke up at 10, so I look forward to a nice deep sleep tonight. Thats a silver lining to not sleeping for me, usually the next nights sleep is always the bomb.

Also a noise maker helps immensely, even some youtube meditation relaxation music can help.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. Its 4.25 am and i am wide awake

Something has helped a bit in the past is going on youtube and searching for sleep/ relaxing videos, some of these last like 8 hours and have subtle hums that are suppose to help you, just pop your earphones in and listen

Its worth a try anyway

My earphones have broken, which is why i cant try that now
Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Regular exercise (if that is possible) even a brisk walk everyday (if weather permits) works wonders. Also since I quit drinking I eat a lot more sugar. Eating candy or sweets later in the evening sometimes messes up my sleep. Eating a healthy dinner, skipping dessert and then maybe capping off with some warm milk or caffeine free tea might help too.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts. Lets get back to the topic.

D
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sleepytime Tea Extra and 5mg of melatonin helped me a lot
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

...be careful of some the anti depressants. They help you sleep better,sure. But they can remove some the hangover and make it easier to drink more.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what came first between my alcoholism and insomnia. For many years, I used alcohol as a sleep aid. I never took anything stronger than an Overthecounter tablet but that never worked anyway. I still suffer many sleepless nights in sobriety. I pretty much sleep on the sofa with TV on because everytime I go to bed I'm awake again 20 mins later. Something about a quiet room that makes my mind race.

Others have mentioned meditation videos on YouTube. Those have helped me fall asleep. It's the staying asleep that is the problem. For some reason, a TV on in the background seems to work the best at 3am. As well as a long walk at some point in the evening. And reading here on this site.

Keep trying different things and maybe something will start to help.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightshoot View Post
Good advice Kero. I too have insomnia, thankfully it comes and goes. I find that just getting up and doing something helps, seems to make me more tired, and eventually I go to sleep. Although I have read being in front of a computer screen isn't the best. I drink chamomile tea, and dab lavender on a cloth to breath in near my head. I refuse to use medication for it. My Mother used to fall asleep reading. There is a wealth of info on the internet to calm down and relax.
Yeah in my experience sitting up on a computer/laptop keeps me awake, but lying down with a tablet seems to help.

Snacking was mentioned too, I find that now that I'm older if I snack much past 8pm or so I have sleep issues. I never had that issue when I was younger, but now it seems a few potato chips and I'm having trouble falling asleep.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

Valerian root has really helped me.......I have also had insomnia after quitting.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

White noise
Old 01-02-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The use of things like tablets, iPhones etc can apparently slow / stop the body producing melatonin.

I used to watch something on my iphone in bed, I have swapped this routine and replaced with a radio which I listen to on low.

It works quite well
Old 01-02-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have suffered nearly every sleep problem going i dont say that lightly i think reading a book is the best answer to solve being awake start doing it every night make a point of reading i guarentee your eyes will tire and you will get some blissful sleep

i would start staying away from caffine & sugar

i would meditate you can use music

you can speak to diffrent doctor if you had a bad experience with your last one

trust me its not perfect but i can sleep a lot better now reading really helps that it tires the eyes
Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks all,

Sounds like im best off switching off the telly and starting to read again