SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   new here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/355238-new-here.html)

stayingpositive 01-01-2015 06:48 PM

new here

Hi everyone

Today is Day one for me!! I think this site will help me a lot. I have had a few day ones, but once I get to about 30 days I get the idea that I can have an occasional drink. The drink or two just puts me back to drinking every night again.

I promised myself that I would quit for the new year. I promised myself 2015 would be different. Today has been really hard. I know it will get easier.

I keep thinking that I should at least have one tonight so the withdraws will be less tomorrow. I am already trying to justify one more, but i am not going to do it. The excuses come and go from my mind all day. I am determined not to give in this time.

jryan19982 01-01-2015 06:51 PM

I had around 7 ish weeks- I cant remember exactly how long bc I stopped counting. My downfall was hey I can have a few beers tonight. Then I didnt drink for a few days, then had another beer another night. Well eventually this led to more days drinking, and more beers in those days and finally drinking every night between 6-12 beers.

I realize I cant do that anymore. Its all or nothing.

LBrain 01-01-2015 06:53 PM

welcome stayingpositive - my opinion is that if you continue to have to alleviate withdrawal symptoms you will never stop. I would check in with a medical facility if you are having trouble.
I would see a doctor either way. good luck and WELCOME

stayingpositive 01-01-2015 06:58 PM

I have done this before. I usaully just get anxious and panicky for a few days. My mind is just telling me that its a reason to have just one. If anything really bad happens I will see a doctor, but I think I will be fine.

Wastinglife 01-01-2015 07:02 PM

We all know what u are going thru here. New years day is probably the most popular 'Day 1' of them all. Think ahead about how you remain sober for the next few weeks. I just started AA meetings twice a week, see a therapist, and use this site. This holiday season was my first sober one since I was a teenager. It can be lonely in sobriety but just realize that there is support out there.

HeartsAfire 01-01-2015 07:40 PM

Welcome to our family. You've come to the right place.

BBQBiker 01-01-2015 08:10 PM

Welcome Stayingpositive. SR is a great place with wonderful resources. Open 24/7.
Stay strong.

Zebra1275 01-01-2015 08:14 PM

Welcome to SR!

Serenidad 01-01-2015 08:38 PM

Welcome! I think you will find lots of support here! :-)

MelindaFlowers 01-01-2015 09:37 PM

Hi Stayingpositive,

For years, I thought that someday I'd cut way back and drink like a normal person. During these years I drank heavily every single night and was hungover every single day. As time went on I thought that maybe I would only drink on New Years or my my birthday, ya know, once a year wouldn't hurt, right?

All that went out the window when I finally accepted that to have a happy and productive life, I needed to be a non-drinker. No alcohol, ever. I have found that it's actually much easier to not drink at all than to try and cut back or drink less. That never worked. And if I did drink less one or two nights, I would obsess over the amount I was drinking and always wishing that I could have more. So much stress!

I finally stopped when the drinking life became harder than not drinking at all. What a shock that [I]not [I]drinking is easier in every way. Waking up is easier. Work is easier. Cleaning the house is easier. Remembering to pay bills is easier.

Someone on here made a really good point today that two beers, hypothetically, offers no more pleasure to us than tomato juice because it doesn't get us drunk. I'm guessing you were like me and drank to get drunk. I drank to "check out," to numb myself. That wouldn't work with moderate drinking so I gave up the fight.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

matilda123 01-01-2015 09:42 PM

Welcome!!!

JanieJ 01-01-2015 11:39 PM

Hi stayingpositive.

Glad you found us.

Have you heard of the AV (addictive voice) -that 's the little voice in your head that tells you it's ok to drink, or have just one.

I was told I needed a plan to keep sober. Some people just use SR for support, some go to AA, some use other recovery methods, but we do all have a plan.

Stick around my friend, and welcome to the family.

Dee74 01-01-2015 11:50 PM

Welcome stayingpositive :)

resist that one drink. If you're concerned about withdrawal why not see your Dr?

D

PurpleKnight 01-02-2015 03:56 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

Soberwolf 01-02-2015 04:20 AM

Welcome Stayingpositive nice to meet you

stayingpositive 01-02-2015 06:14 AM

Thank you for all the support!! I made it to day two!!