Notices

new years eve...not all i hoped for

Old 01-01-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new years eve...not all i hoped for

All went well until midnight. I had 1 glass of wine ....i haven't posted all day because I was ashamed. I know here....i can be honest. I did catch a buzz and went to bed. Day 1 today....again...im not hung over. I'm just feeling a little defeated. A lot to look forward to this year. Hopefully no more stumbles.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya Be
No need at all to be ashamed.
I've had many day 1's & stumbles.
Just need to move on ..... one day at a time ... this is just a blip.

xxxxx
Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found that I was always disappointed in myself after I broke my sobriety-- even if it was just a couple.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up about it. That's not going to do you any good.

But maybe you should kick up your recovery program a few notches? Recovery isn't passive; you can't just hope to remain sober. You have to actively participate in your own sobriety.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there, Be. I completely understand the worry about being ashamed, but it so truly isn't a worry as long as you gain from the experience! If I may, I sincerely recommend reflecting (doing so through writing is often a great idea) about your mindset and reasons for having that glass of wine, and your emotions now. The goal would be to utilize this experience as a source of motivation and strength for your future.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We had no booze in the house. A friend showed up with belated Xmas gifts. A bottle of wine for me. I caved. Drank a good sized glass. Dumped out the rest this morning. Feeling positive for the weekend...i just know I can't do that
I'll go right back to a bottle a night.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you realised that quickly BBFK

So glad you didnt continue to drink and glad your bk

Have you tried meetings of any kind AA or AVRT ?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can get past this.

I believe it's important to make your home an alcohol-free place. When, on occasion, we have someone show up with a bottle of wine at the door, we leave it sitting at the door and give it to them as they leave. That might sound extreme, but it's my home and I'm not going to risk my recovery so that someone else doesn't feel bad. That's what I did for years and years before I began drinking. I always put everyone else's feelings before mine and look what happened. I no longer do that.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I strongly agree with Anna. We should feel comfortable in our own home
Old 01-01-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I strongly agree with Anna. We should feel comfortable in our own home
Old 01-01-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to one AA meeting with my brother. I think I need to start going on my own. He is 3 years sober. Thanks SW. I need more help to stay sober. New year....i am accepting my addiction.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Always feel free to post - no reason to be ashamed - you're among friends who understand. You're past it - you didn't let it turn into a binge - and you're more determined now.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna....thats a good idea. I will be strong enough to keep the wine out of my home. I'm so used to accepting/ inviting it in. I'm done with not controlling my own well being...and my family's. I have an addiction...i can't let it have me. Thank you SR friends. My head was not in the toilet this morning but I still stumbled. WTH its hard!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna....thats a good idea. I will be strong enough to keep the wine out of my home. I'm so used to accepting/ inviting it in. I'm done with not controlling my own well being...and my family's. I have an addiction...i can't let it have me. Thank you SR friends. My head was not in the toilet this morning but I still stumbled. WTH its hard!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also agree with Anna that your house should be alcohol free. I have been giving all of mine away. You made a mistake. You can start day 1 again! You can do this. We are all here for you.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. I bet you would handle the situation differently if it happened again. I don't have alcohol in my home. If someone visits and wants some, they can bring their own and take it with them when they leave. This happens rarely, because people know that I've stopped drinking, so most people respect that. If you invite someone over, mention that you aren't drinking anymore. Then they wont bring you a bottle as a host gift. There is no wild partying in my house anymore. ..and I'm grateful for that.