Notices

Hypnosis for alcoholism???

Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnosis for alcoholism???

Anyone ever try hypnosis for alcoholism and have success? I guess I'm desperate but I'll try anything right now to break free. So many starts and stops this past year and outpatient treatment to boot. Not sure if I have anymore "stops" in me. It gets harder and harder picking myself back up. Thank you all for your help and advice and Happy New Year to you all!
Old 01-01-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If hypnosis worked I'm sure it would be touted here on SR. I never see it recommended. Only questions about it working. If outpatient didn't work, maybe it's time to try inpatient.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't remember hearing anyone say they tried hypnosis.

I do understand that it gets harder and harder to get back up. This disease takes a toll physically, mentally and spiritually and it seems to increase it's intensity as time goes on.

What have you tried?
Old 01-01-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel I do need inpatient but I have five young ins and don't want to leave them with their step dad and their real dad is very ill with a terrible progressive disease. I also homeschool my oldest child. It's hard sometimes I feel I should end it but I can't do that to my precious five.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, Standing. Do what you need to do because if you don't your children won't have you anyway really. If you're entertaining any thoughts of "ending it" - even if you'd never do anything, you need to reach out and get some help. Our addictions can feel so powerful that we think we will never get out from under them, but there are a lot folks on SR that show you that it is possible. The fact that you have thoughts of suicide just means you can't think of any options right now.

Go to the nearest mental health center, talk to your doctor, talk to your husband and get the help you deserve. We are here for you.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm scared and you are right.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Getting sober is scarey and it has to be with 5 rug rats. But think about this:
What's scarier-
Lining up care for the youngens and gettin into rehab so them youngens can have their mother
Or
Keep going on like ya are and the youngens not having their mother?

What have you tried so far to get sober?
And what was the problem why they didn't help?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here is a good resource if you are feeling hopeless, ~4~My~5.

Links:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html
Old 01-01-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Scarier would be not being able to care for them at all....permanent disabled, in jail or if the state took them because they caught wind of your drinking.

Have you tried AA?

There is a "doctor" in Tulsa that does hypnosis for a variety of things...at a cost!

I kept my money and go to more meetings now. It took awhile but the cravings and compulsion are virtually gone
Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Standing nice to meet you

If you feel you need inpatient is there no help with looking after the youngsters with someone you truly trust

my heart goes out to you friend know that you have support here 24h a day
Old 01-01-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Standing ((()))

Oh, hun. I echo the others, it's better to get some care for your kids and get some serious treatment than carry on as you are.

Please stay close to us so we can support you too

XXX
Old 01-01-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can understand how difficult this must seem for you. Five children who need you and their father can't help due to illness, so it won't be easy. But, everyone here makes the point that things will only get worse if you don't tackle the problem.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way that you can come up with a solution to help you get the help you need.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm concerned that you feel that you should "end it" means you've considered taking your life. There is nothing in life so difficult or so daunting that makes suicide an attractive option despite our often formidable thoughts and feelings to the contrary. If there are times when you're serious about this, then your only choice is to get yourself to the emergency room. If you were to kill yourself, your children would be forever damaged by an unfathomable, irreversible act which affects many more people than you can ever know.

As for hypnosis, my sense and my experience is that it is most helpful only after a person has gotten sober in terms of avoiding relapse and other self-defeating behaviors.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there, I understand feeling like you just can't go to inpatient because of your children. But speaking as a mother who did go into inpatient while separated from my husband, it was scary but the best thing for me and them. I'm much more present in their lives.

Coming home from work and hurrying them to bed and getting nasty if they didn't cooperate so that I could drink. Getting drunk in the middle of the day and passing out on the weekends.

All that is gone now. It's scary thinking of leaving them but honestly, I don't think I was too very far from someone reporting me and then I wouldn't have them with me anyway. It's well worth it if you can do it.

Hang in there. I never tried hypnosis. I did acupuncture. It didn't work. Sobriety takes work and isn't "cured" with a magic pill, potion or procedure. You said your child's father has a progressive disease. So do you if you're an alcoholic. Just as potentially deadly. No cure but infinitely treatable. Good luck. And hugs.