Notices

Feeling Sad

Old 12-31-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Sad

As I'm sitting here in front of my computer detoxing to ring in the new year, I can't help but feel sad about 2014. I've detoxed off alcohol way too many times to count, and I know I need to stop detoxing since they get worse every time.

I think about my 1 year old who is trying to wake my drunk pathetic ass up to play with him, and I'm passed out on the couch or ignoring him. I think about my wife who needs my help as we both have careers. I think about how many visits to my parent's I've missed because I can't safely be around alcohol without drinking it. Yes they too are alcoholics, but I can't make them change.

The one bright side is that I don't have to detox anymore after this time. I can be done with it forever. I can't change my past, but I can help mold my future. I'll be using SR a lot this year, and will not let my sobriety be ruined by crap in my life.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know the feeling well...and you are right you never have to do this again! New Year new you!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
learning to live

Don't be sad. You are in the process RIGHT NOW of turning this all around cause you aren't picking up! You never have to feel this way again, ever!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post

The one bright side is that I don't have to detox anymore after this time. I can be done with it forever. I can't change my past, but I can help mold my future. I'll be using SR a lot this year, and will not let my sobriety be ruined by crap in my life.
Exactly!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The great thing is you recognize it. Your one year old needs you as does your wife. No better time than now to put your solid plan into place to be the father and husband you want to be. I hope i am not sounding preachy as i am right there with you in the same struggle. Stay close to SR its a valuable resource with great people. Happy new year justin
Old 12-31-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this, Justin.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're on the right path Justin. I wish you a happy and healthy 2015! You can do this, keep fighting for the life you want. The past is the past, all we have is right now. Enjoy the moment being sober.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You don't want to forget about 2014, because you never want to return to that life. But you don't want to dwell on it. Your son and wife will notice your hard work and dedication to sobriety just as they noticed the drinking. And time will heal many wounds. Right now this early on your emotions will be all over the place though, so stay close to your suport network.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong. You can do it!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The past is gone Justin. We can't change a second.

we can remember it (and we should) but to dwell on it is exactly what our inner addict wants - that despair, that thinking badly of ourselves - talking our selves down...it's like music to an AV's ears.

learn your lessons - for good - focus on the now not the then and rhis time next year you could be in a far different place

D
Old 01-01-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

no time is better than the present - make it happen
Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What could be a better, more ready-made clean slate than a brand new year in front of you? You can do it, Justin. You said it: you don't ever have to feel like this again.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same Justin. I thought 2014 would have been a good year for me, I had big plans. After continued binging and detoxing, I have only just managed to keep the family and the house together. My last drink was yesterday, I managed 5 weeks at the beginning of the year and 7 weeks from mid October.
So here I am, Starting from scratch again. I hate living this way, I need to review my lifestyle again.

Happy New Year, and all the best for 2015.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

2015 will be better. I know it's rough right now but I can almost guarantee you that by springtime you will be feeling like a million bucks. My emotions were all over the place early on but they've evened out. Stay in the moment of course but think of a wonderful sober future. I'll bet by March you'll feel like a brand new person!
Old 01-01-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Justin you can drop any of us a pm to have a chat from time to time or whenever you want bud

Justin i want you to know you have genuine friends here that will be with you on this path were all on the same path really ...Sobriety that is what brought us here

We dont forget but we dont dwell sometimes i put 2 hands out in front of me and in one hand i have my old life and in another i have my new life

believe me i choose my new life every time there is no contest my new life wins hands down

i wish you the very best peace luck & happiness in 2015 brother