Notices

Looking for support tonight

Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for support tonight

Hello my friends,

It's the end of the year and the end of alcohol for me forever; and yet it takes a slow and easy approach. Take each day one at a time, etc.

I have anxiety right now about tonight and am starting to get dizzy at times; it's even hard to type this right now with my full concentration. I thought Day 2 would be different.

I'm thinking about doing a liver cleanse; does anyone have any suggestions? Is it too early to do that? Would I stress out my liver even more by doing that?

Just wondering. Here's to a Healthy and Happy New Year to all of you.

Eric
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same to you man, happy new year and good luck with your goals.

I can't say about the liver cleanse, I don't know about that.

I'm sure someone here does
Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would check with your doctor before attempting a liver cleanse, EW.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what's making you anxious about tonight?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You might want to drop in to this thread tonight:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...0-jan-4-a.html
Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi ericwilson. Happy new year to two new starts, the new year and your sobriety.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi - Im not a doctor but I have been drinking water with lemon and cucumber slices in it....not chugging - just sipping all day. I'm on Day 3 and I am feeling pretty good. Happy New Year! There is a New Years thread going on to follow! Good Luck to you
Old 12-31-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ericwilson

ive never heard of a liver cleanse but def speak to a doc first

all the best for 2015
Old 12-31-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lemon water is a good, natural cleanse for the whole body. Safe as well.
Congrats on your commitment to sobriety. I'm right behind you, day one for me, and the last day of the year!
Let's bring on a sober 2015.
Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Eric. Today is day 2 for me as well after a weeklong bender sort of thing. Try to stay confident man.

As far as liver cleansing goes. I don't know much about cleansing the liver specifically, but I do know a thing or two about cleansing in general, and there are a variety of ways to do it. My two favorite ways are juice fasting and something called the CLEAN program, which comes from the book CLEAN by Alejandro Junger. CLEAN in particular I believe has really done wonders for my own health.

As others have already pointed out, it would be very wise to speak to your doctor before attempting any sort of thing, especially if you had any physical dependence. And always educate yourself before doing it, as it needs to be done properly in order to have any substantial benefit.

But right now, I would focus on staying sober. Cleansing can come after you've mentally conquered this.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey!

I'd consult your GP about coming off the alcohol but if all is good, then I love the holistic approach! Milk Thistle tablets, lots of green juice (I recommend lettuce, cucumber, apple and orange as they go together and it doesn't taste weird) and drinking lots of nettle tea.
Liquid cleanses don't work for me at all so I really recommend eating solid food with tea and juice!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, ericwilson. I'm on day 2 as well, and we aren't the only ones! Just keep thinking how different and better your life will be a year from now when we're getting ready to usher in 2016, God willing.

I agree with the others that there's nothing like good old water to cleanse the system, and you don't need a prescription. Adding lemon and cucumber slices sounds even better. Herbal and green teas are also awesome.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm another one for seeing a Dr first.

My own thought (and no offence at all to others who swear by detoxes) is my liver doesn't need cleansing - if it's doing it's job, it's already getting rid of the poisons in your body.

If it's not working properly then you need to see a Dr anyway

D
Old 12-31-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am a proponent of liver cleansings and fasting (I am planning a green tea detox very soon) but in your case I think it is a bad idea. You really don't know what kind of damage you have done to your liver and you are also detoxing from booze which can be dangerous by itself.
Also fasting/detoxing can be stressful not only physiologically but also psychologically.
Going on a fast or cleanse could make things even worst.
See your doctor first. If everything is ok, then once you have a couple of months sober under your belt, give it a go.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been eating and drinking whatever I want for the last 4 days since my sobriety started. It is hard enough to stay off the booze; no need to add additional stress to the process by cleansing. If it makes you feel better, day 4 was 100 percent better than 1-3 for me.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The liver is remarkable in its resilience and power of recovery if it has not been pushed too far. Mine was in bad shape 26 years ago but after four or five days my appetite was restored, I started eating well and the doctors were astonished by the blood results. If I were you I'd just concentrate on sobriety one day at a time, take the appropriate medications and leave the rest to the doctor.
Happy New Year and Good Luck!

W.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there. I don't know anything about cleansing but I do know withdrawal. Take it easy and if you are feeling the same tomorrow, go see your doctor and tell them what you are experiencing. I would feel dizzy and lightheaded from the withdrawal, weak and woozy. The doctor can give you something to help with that and supervise your detox. And don't drink! Drinking to alleviate what I was going through made them ten times worse to the point I could barely walk. Hang in there! You can get through it. It will get better. Probably around day three you will notice a difference. Days four or five should be a lot better. Get some sleep. Eat right. And stay hydrated, avoiding caffeine.