Notices

My girlfriend doesn't want me to quit

Old 12-31-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dump her and run. The fact that she says that you are no fun when you drink shows that she doesn't get it and is a little bit rude. Sobriety is the best gift you can give yourself and no girl is worth not achieving it. She should be supportive of your decisions if she loves you. Specially such a positive decision. There is only one you, you only have one body to care for. There are millions of girls out there. Another thing: your comments about impacting her fun... What a selfish she-devil. This girl need a personality so that she can rely on herself for fun and not count on her drunk boyfriend for it... You know...
Old 12-31-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

By the way, my wife doesn't drink and never has. I still married her to think a potential long term SO wouldn't accept you for who you are means they are probably not the right person.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I don't get all the negativity. She merely said she would like him to go out a drink moderately. Normal people enjoy doing that. It is impossible to tell her intent with calling him boring. Was it a friendly jibe? Was it a screaming insult? Does she really, deeply understand his position? I think the best answer was early on that said he should talk with her first. Once she really understands, then decide on the future.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congratulations on re-committing to sobriety, dbillyd.

Have a heart to heart with your girlfriend. Her response/reaction to your desire for sobriety may be rooted in misunderstanding of alcoholism. Maybe share some articles on alcoholism and the pitfalls of moderation with her.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

It seems to me that she doesn't fully understand your problem or what you're going through. I don't think kicking her to the curb is necessary or right at this point. What you need to do is educate her as to how alcohol affects you and why you're not drinking. If she can't cope or accept that after everything is on the table, only then should you consider other options. There are many, many things you two can do to have fun that does not involve alcohol. You just have to be creative and find things that both of you enjoy doing together sober. If she truly cares about you then she will understand and work with you. Just imagine all the good times you can have with her feeling great and clear headed, without the hangover or fuzzy memories. As I said, if she can't have fun with you unless there's alcohol involved, and is unwilling to adapt to your sober lifestyle then you may have to have the serious talk with her.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
i don't get all the negativity. She merely said she would like him to go out a drink moderately. Normal people enjoy doing that. It is impossible to tell her intent with calling him boring. Was it a friendly jibe? Was it a screaming insult? Does she really, deeply understand his position? I think the best answer was early on that said he should talk with her first. Once she really understands, then decide on the future.
this ^
Old 12-31-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Now that I know more about problem drinking, alcoholism, whatever you call it: Anyone who says "you are boring when you don't drink" or whose fun depends on others being drunk is a tool IMO...

She might want him to drink in moderation and I want world peace...

Sometimes we don't get what we want.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would explain to her that im not drinking anymore because i cannot safely or responsible

I would tell her im alcoholic
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Originally Posted by barefootjunker View Post
Hmm, for one she doesn't understand and to not support your decision is a big flag for you on how this relationship is going to end up.

Another thing is a couple comments I have read here. If she is normal, then why is it so important to her that you drink? It is not normal to have to drink to have fun, really people it is not a requirement to having fun. Also to rationalize her attitude for this in comments on a recovery web site is foolish. Your doing nothing but giving the guy all the excuses he needs to not commit to what he wants to do, Which is not to drink in 2015.

She has issues if she thinks drinking is a requirement to fun, flat out that is the truth of it.
PREACH!!! I totally agree with you & you definitely said it much more eloquently than me! ;-)
Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I agree you should talk to her, people who can drink normally just don't understand the idea of not being able to moderate. My fiance also thinks I don't need to quit, just that I should "cut down"...he'll try to "help" by telling me to slow down after I've had a few, not understanding that by the time I reach that point, there is no slowing down. I'm sure your gf will be supportive once she understands. If not, you might have a tough decision to make.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Now that I know more about problem drinking, alcoholism, whatever you call it: Anyone who says "you are boring when you don't drink" or whose fun depends on others being drunk is a tool IMO...

She might want him to drink in moderation and I want world peace...

Sometimes we don't get what we want.
I have to agree with this ^^ Doesn't appear that she wants you to do what you think is best for YOU. Not a good sign IMO...