Notices

sober now 18 months but depression not gone

Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober now 18 months but depression not gone

hello all, I have done 18 months without touching a drop of booze but I still have depression and cant quite get shut of it.
do you think if I took medication ,, I am going down the route of swapping one addiction for another
I mean I thought I would feel better by now
I have no urges to drink at all but maybe im expecting too much ???
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
thanks
deadlift
Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll save lots of time by referring you to posts I and others have made in this thread, last week http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html .

For me, there was recovery from anxiety, panic, and depression without the use of medication. It didn't however come overnight, and I'm certain it would have never come if I didn't take action. I slowly, over time changed many things in my life. All of that change started however, for me, with AA and applying the 12 steps in my life. When alcoholics put down the drink, if that's all they do, things generally get worse, not better. There's a reason we drank the way we did in the first place. That reason needs healing. We need to change. That change can come from many different things. Therapy, AA, 12 steps, AVRT, RR, changes in diet, exercise, and yes... through pills and medication, too. I was always concerned that pills would make things worse in the long run. I know many people who weren't in nearly as bad shape as I was, yet went the medication route, and now they're on them for the rest of their lives.

I'll repeat that it takes time, and it takes effort. It took me over 2 years before I felt I was completely free, and from time to time I still experience depressions and/or some anxiety - but it's nowhere near what it was like in the first 2 years. I enjoy my feelings. All of them. I especially enjoy my feeling of freedom. I'm not dependent on anything outside of myself for my well being. For that I'm truly grateful.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks jo will look at the link
Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

joe, thanks for the information it has really helped me and even tho I haven't logged in to this site for a year it was exactly what I was looking for
cheers mate
all the best
deadlift
Old 12-30-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey deadlift... happy if I helped any.

Are you doing anything to support your recovery outside of not drinking? If not, now might be the perfect time to start. In another thread, someone just reminded me of a book I read in early recovery called Staying Sober. I had forgotten all about it. I remember it having lots of really important information in it however on how to stay sober, and keeping happy about it. You might want to check it out.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Deadlift were around the same time sober im 17.5 months

big well done on 18 months thats seriously good

Have you spoke with a doc ?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi deadlift - a year is a long time to be depressed - have you seen a Dr at all about this?

D
Old 12-30-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to be very black and white in my thinking. To my mind drugs were drugs.
I was suffering incredibly because of that belief.

Medication allows me to live my life fully and freely. I am not addicted to it, it does not change me into someone else - rather it allows me to be who I want to be.

I might not be here if it were not for medication.

D
Old 12-31-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been on antidepressants before whilst drinking and a bit after stopping etc.
but in my mind the low feeling should be gone by now. but I am expecting life to be nothing but perfect as I have quit the booze.. ha I know that's not the way it works
the doc has already prescribed the pills but I haven't taken any yet.
the same old question
was I depressed because of booze or boozing because of the depression
Thanks for all replies