Notices

Sore, tender skin after binging?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sore, tender skin after binging?

Hi all,
I'm 10 days sober and determined to stick with it this time. It's really amazing to look back on the last year and realize how much damage alcohol has been doing to my body.

I'm curious about a symptom that's developed in the last 3 years or so, especially if you have a medical background / knowledge. After binging, I would have extremely sore, tender skin, all over my body. It seemed to be the worst across my torso, arms, and tops of my thighs, and it's not just the standard muscle aches of a hangover, but like my skin itself was immensely painful to the touch. It would usually last for 2-3 days after a crazy drinking night.

I've done some research and I'm coming up with two possibilities: alcoholic myopathy and some sort of problem with the methylation cycle, although it seems like alcoholic myopathy is more related to muscle weakness and breakdown rather than sore skin.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any more info? Obviously it shouldn't be a problem from now on as I'm not drinking, but I'm just curious as I'm in the health field, too. Thanks so much!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advice, but that sounds rough. I'd go to the doctor.

I know for me, I get white spots all over my hands when I'm dehydrated in general. (according to my doctor it's just a vascular response to being dehydrated) They are never painful though in my case.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I definitely experienced similar things during the first ~2 days after stopping drinking, each time, after many years of abuse. We are not supposed to discuss medical information here but I understand that you want to know... There can be many reasons and it's best to consult a doctor if it does not go away. But one thing is that the acute effect of alcohol, in part, is sedation. It dulls our nervous system. When we quit, the "normal" sensations take a while to adjust, and the nerves (including the peripheral nervous system, which is in your skin, muscles, etc) can go on overdrive for a while. May or may not be your case. This should even out relatively quickly within a few days but if not, again, see a doc about it.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

To be clear, I'm not looking for medical advice about how to treat it, and it's not happening to me right now... just curious and wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of more info Edit: oops, I'm new here and didn't realize we're not supposed to discuss medical info at all. So sorry!

I appreciate the replies!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 10 CM

I would book a apt with GP/Doc
Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Yes! I don't know the science behind it, but this absolutely happened to me. It lasted for days after a binge, mostly along my shoulders and sides. My skin would hurt so bad it was painful to lay in bed at night. I had to take ibuprofen for it. I hated it!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If you are not drinking it really doesn't make a difference knowing it will never happen again