Notices

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Think I might be suffering from seasonal affective disorder. I am having trouble saying no to alcohol at night and I've just not been feeling myself lately.

I live in the US northeast and the winter has been particularly dark so far. I think we've had maybe a handful of sunny days in the last month. It's friggin' depressing. As I post this I look out the window and it's so sad looking. And it's 10 in the morning. It's been like this for weeks and I think it's destroying my motivation. I literally have no motivation to do anything. That's not like me. I'm always very productive but I just don't feel like doing ANYTHING. Even activities I normally would enjoy. I just want to lay in bed and sleep until the sun comes back.

I'm gonna really try to buckle down tonight and do everything I can to ignore the dark of winter and find my way back on the sober path. But man it's tough right now.

Anyone else live in a similar region and get this problem?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i did have a Seasonal Affective Disorder and it grew into an all year round disorder
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it's very common around here, especially this time of year when there is little daylight anyway. The sun is just starting to come up when I leave for work and it's generally already dark by the time I leave. I try and get a short walk in during the day to get a little sunlight, but it's also been very cloudy for weeks. The last few days have been sunny but also below zero temps ( F ). You just can't win sometimes!

If you have any botantical gardens or an indoor greenhouse that you can visit that can help.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it is prevalent here in the PNW. One thing that helps me is knowing that it is SAD, and not something wrong with me. I know it will pass. Taking a vitamin D supplement helps me some, but also maintaining a schedule, eating right and being kind to myself.