Notices

When did you start looking better?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all!!! Today is day 38 free of alcohol and I am feeling much better the last two days. I have even started a bit of exercise( walking my 4 month old lab), and eating a very low carb diet full of protein and leafy greens. I put on about 5 lbs. in the last month after I quit drinking due to sugar cravings and eating whatever I felt like. I am wondering if anyone can share when they started to look in the mirror and look healthy. I know for almost 37, I am going to have a few wrinkles and crows feet but I look worse in my opinion than before I quit drinking. My face has been dry and breaking out over the last month. That has seemed to level out but my skin just doesn't have a healthy glow yet. I can compare pictures from my drinking time to now and I look healthier then? On the plus side, my eyes are never red, bloodshot and or have a slight yellow tint in the corners. They are bright white!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Within a week, I could tell a difference in my face because it was not bloated & reddish. My face looks skinnier now.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Angd well done on day 38

The body is repairing all the time you have noticed a diffrence in your eyes already know it will keep improving

well done Angd
Old 12-30-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Angd well done on day 38

The body is repairing all the time you have noticed a diffrence in your eyes already know it will keep improving

well done Angd
Old 12-30-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Never. Too old to look better. I've been told I look healthier.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

depending on how much and for how long you drank it is different with everyone.

Good news is that you are young and resilient and you will bounce back. and great that the yellow cast is gone from your eyes.

it really might be a good idea for you to go to your primary doctor and report your progress and ask him to run some detailed blood work so you have validation that your body is repairing itself and your liver function is normal. As women we tend to have more tendency to a sensitive liver anyway. Your energy level might be hormonal which is a balancing act too at times.

congrats on your 38 days, that is wonderful and so is taking care of your 4 month puppy, they love the exercise with you.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 38!! I started noticing my face looking healthier by 1 week. I must still have bags though, cuz I went to a party recently and someone said I looked tired. Hoping better sleep will cure this in time!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hi Ang,

As others have said, it is indeed different for everyone. Some people come on here and talk about how they lose 10 pounds in 10 days etc. Generally that kind of weight loss isn't sustainable and most of it would probably come back.

I think it's important to remember that sobriety is a marathon and not a sprint. Going over some of my very first posts, I see that I was complaining about many of the same things you are (we are about the same age). I was binging on sugars and salts to keep the cravings at bay and probably packed on a few extra pounds in my first couple of months.

However, over 2 years later, I can tell you I'm down about 50 pounds, and have been holding steady at this weight for about six months now. I look and feel about ten years younger than when I was drinking. I can rip off a 10-15 KM run on a regular basis and eat much healthier, although still not perfect.

The weight did not come off quickly though. Rather it was more like a couple of pounds one month, nothing the next, a couple more the next month, etc. I was patient, kept at it and have been rewarded in the end. Added to the fact, that I have much more money for other things such as clothes, fixing my teeth, nice haircuts, I look like a completely different person. So stay at and stay focused!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took a while. Several months and the improvements were subtle and gradual.

You are healing; alcohol abuses our bodies from the inside out. I believe that healing takes place from the inside out, too. Internal healing is so much more important. You will eventually see the external benefits.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info everyone! I am so looking to the rewards and will keep on keeping on! Congrats to everyone on here!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

facial bloating and redness completely gone in week 1. Off blood pressure medicine after about 3 weeks. Lost 10 pounds a month and gained a crap load of muscle despite being in a calorie deficit. Sex drive goes through the ceiling in about two weeks for me.

Failed about a week ago and am in the middle of detox right now.

The human body is insanely good at healing. The one thing I thought was slow at healing was internally. Stomach pains lasted at least a month. My record for sobriety is 47 days. Probably posted way too much for this thread...
Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Within a week or two. At six months I am like a different person. Remember the TV show The Swan?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you're not looking worse, you're just seeing better now...

ba-dump-bump!

after a few weeks my wife noticed I looked "better". People who haven't seen me in a while really take notice. Healthy diet and exercise work wonders.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

At 4 weeks now, I dropped almost 10lbs. My stomach is flat and face is thin. Also, my daily bloodshot eyes are gone.

I had no idea how much "bloat" I was carrying around in spite of consistent exercise and healthy eating habits.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I thought I was looking much better(course anything would look better than drunk/hungover) but my mom keeps saying I look tired. Definitely the bloat and redness were gone by week 2.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

From seeing a lot of people get better in AA It seems around the 3 month mark but a lot depends on how much and for how long you were drinking
Old 12-30-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I thought I was looking much better(course anything would better than drunk/hungover) but my mom keeps saying I look tired. Definitely the bloat and redness were gone by week 2.
I also think I look tired as well. I looked tired when I was drinking tho and I havent seen much improvement in that department yet either. I thought last time I got sober, the tired look wentaway quicker than this but I cant be sure.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I looked so much better in just a few weeks. Lost 15 lbs, puffiness was gone, eyes were no longer red, my hair was shiner. I constantly got told I looked so much better. I didn't even realize I looked that bad.

Last edited by Charliee; 12-30-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 12-31-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi it could be you are still detoxing through your skin not alcohol but any other toxins that are on there. it takes me a good while to get back to looking normal and I always go through a really tired looking phase. I've noticed that if I end up eating too much sugar and sweet carby stuff one day I wake up the next morning looking bloated and kind of similar to what I looked like with a hangover. Sounds like you are on the right track with your healthy choices X
Old 12-31-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been sober for several years, I'm still waiting to look better.