Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Relapsed in Feb/March. Been drinking on and off since then. Back on day 17.

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I had 7 months sober when I started drinking again in February or March this year (I can't even remember which). I've been drinking on and off since then, with little dry stints here and there as I attempted to sober up again and again and again. I recently strung together 4 months but then picked up a drink again. So now I'm back on day 17 and really grateful that I am.

When I had 7 months' sober I was in AA. I haven't been back since I first relapsed but I do realise I'm the kind of person who needs face-to-face support in their recovery so this time I'm going to try a fellowship called Overcomers Anonymous that a friend from church helps facilitate.

I'm also waiting to be assessed for voluntary counselling through my church regarding sexual abuse issues from the past. I've been having similar counselling at another place for the past few months and it's really helped me come to terms with the abuse that happened to me, which in turn helped me to not only stay sober for 4 months but also helped other aspects of my life to become more manageable and enjoyable. This counselling is coming to an end next week, so I hope that the counselling my church offers will continue the good work and play a part in this new go at recovery.

I'm so relieved to be coming back to SR. I haven't posted since my initial relapse because I felt so ashamed and embarrassed after blowing 7 months. But as I was lurking and reading other people's posts just now, something prompted me to get over myself, stop being proud and just come home to SR. Hence this post.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Louise. I'm glad you're here and decided to post again. Sounds like you are seeking the support you need and off to a great start in your renewed recovery.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Louise. Congratulations on your 17 days! I'm glad you're here.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
I had 7 months sober when I started drinking again in February or March this year (I can't even remember which). I've been drinking on and off since then, with little dry stints here and there as I attempted to sober up again and again and again. I recently strung together 4 months but then picked up a drink again. So now I'm back on day 17 and really grateful that I am.

When I had 7 months' sober I was in AA. I haven't been back since I first relapsed but I do realise I'm the kind of person who needs face-to-face support in their recovery so this time I'm going to try a fellowship called Overcomers Anonymous that a friend from church helps facilitate.

I'm also waiting to be assessed for voluntary counselling through my church regarding sexual abuse issues from the past. I've been having similar counselling at another place for the past few months and it's really helped me come to terms with the abuse that happened to me, which in turn helped me to not only stay sober for 4 months but also helped other aspects of my life to become more manageable and enjoyable. This counselling is coming to an end next week, so I hope that the counselling my church offers will continue the good work and play a part in this new go at recovery.

I'm so relieved to be coming back to SR. I haven't posted since my initial relapse because I felt so ashamed and embarrassed after blowing 7 months. But as I was lurking and reading other people's posts just now, something prompted me to get over myself, stop being proud and just come home to SR. Hence this post.
Welcome back!!!

The great news is; TODAY is a great day to be sober.

Get back to AA. It works.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At least you managed to string together four months, I've trying to string together 10 days for the last year....
Anyway! Welcome back!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post

Hi.
Are you subconsciously saying that AA might work so your going to use something else, perhaps unproven?
It’s your choice and your knowledgeable about your present pains so I wish you comfort.

BE WELL
Old 12-30-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Louise

Dont be ashamed.... its happened not much you can do but focus on the here & now

Glad your here ...Nice to meet you
Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Louise.

Glad to hear that you are seeking face to face support.

Hope you keep SR in your tool box.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congratulations on 17 days--that is fantastic!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Louise!!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Louise

D