SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I didn't do perfect today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/354889-i-didnt-do-perfect-today.html)

elena7777 12-29-2014 08:34 PM

I didn't do perfect today

So, I feel bad, because I didn't do everything I was supposed to today. I've been trying so hard, but I wasn't perfect today. I forgot to pray this morning. I only went to one meeting (my sponsor said two a day). And I only called one other alcoholic today (it's supposed to be two). Okay, so I didn't drink, and I didn't pick up any drug. But damnit, I feel bad because I don't do everything the way I was supposed to. I really did WANT some Damn opiates today - I still do now. My back hurts, my ankle and my foot, too. :gaah

SoberD 12-29-2014 08:37 PM

Well, you managed to stay clean, which is the most important thing - there will be plenty of opportunities for the other things. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Congrats on keeping sober.

Dee74 12-29-2014 08:38 PM

I rarely accomplish all I set out to do Elena. You stayed sober and clean. Thast a pretty great thing to tick off :)

Welcome to SR - I hope you feel better tomorrow - if not maybe you need to see your Dr? :)

D

Serenidad 12-29-2014 08:39 PM

You WERE perfect today because you didn't drink or use! That's the most important thing! Don't be so hard on yourself. (((Hug)))

Strength11 12-29-2014 08:43 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. You stayed sober and accomplished a lot today. That is huge! Give yourself some credit.

Ellay 12-29-2014 08:45 PM

I think you did great. If you just continue to do exactly what you did today tomorrow and the next day and the next....I think you will be quite pleased with yourself.

Hawks 12-29-2014 09:13 PM

Tell your sponsor you didn't follow through on your commitments today and do better tomorrow.

We all fall short occasionally but don't make a habit of it.

Briar 12-29-2014 09:45 PM

Oh crap, we're supposed to be perfect?

If that were the case, no one would ever recover. It sounds to me like you did great. You're sober.

hayley86 12-29-2014 10:46 PM

It seems like you did lots of things right today! Be kind to yourself and focus on all the positive things that you accomplished. Ignore that negative voice that we all have, it lies. I hope you feel better soon! :)

ReadyAtLast 12-29-2014 11:30 PM

You didn't drink or take drugs. THAT is the most important thing -be proud of yourself for that.

Treat yourself kindly and don't be so hard on yourself. You aren't supposed to be perfect-none of us are :)

LaVallette 12-30-2014 01:35 AM

Hey Elena. If you keep beating yourself up for not being perfect, you're on a hiding to nothing. Even the AA Big Book states: "We strive for progress, not perfection..." As others have already mentioned, you didn't drink or drug. That's enough for today. :)

Soberwolf 12-30-2014 01:47 AM

Elena the aim is to stay sober you done that

I would book apt with doc to have a G.check up

there will be time for phonecalls the point is you stayed sober

Congrats

HeadLump 12-30-2014 04:10 AM

You stayed clean, that's a huge step forward :hug: Concentrate on that and the rest will come xxx

sugarbear1 12-30-2014 04:40 AM

yes, if you stayed stopped today, you had a perfect day!

did you know there is no perfection in AA and no absolutes?

Hawkeye13 12-30-2014 04:42 AM

trying to be perfect is a recipe for failure--just do the best you can and don't drink

the rest will catch up and take care of itself :)

Congrats on another sober day!

Inchworm 12-30-2014 04:59 AM

Elena, I've learned that being Perfect has nothing to do with how much pain I feel. Pain is part of perfection as much as is joy. You're doing just fine.

Louise82 12-30-2014 05:02 AM

Elena, I once heard a fellow alcoholic say that there was only one thing she could do perfectly each day and that was to not drink.

So you did do something perfectly today - you stayed clean perfectly.

Maybe speak to your GP about pain management options that aren't opiate-based?

jryan19982 12-30-2014 10:01 AM

You still came out ahead. We all have these days.

JT0626 12-30-2014 10:03 AM

Perfection is over rated. ;-) Stay the course, you did great!

GracieLou 12-30-2014 10:09 AM

Progress not perfection!

You did more than I did today. All I did so far today was my morning prayer, go to work and not drink.

Stay accountable and active but don’t beat yourself up if you didn’t do everything.

Your sober and there have been several days that was the only thing I accomplished that day. Keep showing up, keep coming back. Give to others and pray.

Everything is going to be okay :hug: