Notices

What to do with very expensive Xmas booze gifts

Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I re-gift. If they talk to me from the back of a closet, or even whisper, I re-gift immediately. I lived in my parents house when I got sober. They had a bottle of wine on a cart at the bottom of the stairs that led to my bedroom. It talked to me, every day. 6 months into my sobriety, in a moment of insanity I needed to shut it up and did so by taking a mouthful. That was the last time alcohol ever passed my lips, and thankfully (with the help of my sponsor who I called immediately), I poured the rest down the drain.

I learned from that experience the power of that talking and whispering. Don't want or need it around me. I'm pretty sure there's alcohol in my house now (my wife bought some novelty wines when we were in canada), but I'm not even sure where they are. Not even sure if we still have them. If they spoke to me at all, I'd ask her to get rid of them. And she would.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in a similar boat with alcohol-related gifts (wine glasses, cocktail mixing books, etc). For now I have them all stashed out of view in the laundry room. I'm not entirely sure what to do with them :/
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

First, empty out the bottles. You don't need that **** around.

Then, capture a snail.

Name the snail.

Get close to the snail. Spend time with the snail.

Let the snail live in the empty bottle as your new sober friend.

Give a snail a home.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

re-gift the scotch from your team, ask your father-in-law before you offer that bottle to someone else. maybe he would accept it back, obviously he doesn't know and he'll keep giving you that sort of thing until he does know.