Notices

Non-alcoholic beer/virgin cocktails?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

you know what I've found helps?

Veggie juices.

WHOOOOOOOTTT!!!!

Instead of worrying about faking myself out about drinking cocktail-like beverages - I'm drinking healthy vegggie-and-fruit juices. Got myself a good juicer. Making green smoothies. Experimenting with tasty health-based drinks for the flavor and the nourishment.

I find that doing that subtly helps rewire my brain and my body. It helps support the general notion that I want to put healthy things into my body, not things that work against my health and wellness. Which alcolhol does....
Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Cool

1) "...It is still a beer which contains alcohol..."

2) "...Non-alcoholic beers are for non-alcoholics..."

As to.............:

1) Technically it's not beer; it's malt beverage, and most any sugared beverage contains some amount of alcohol, especially fruit beverages like orange juice

2) As I've said before to this silly statement........'whoopee, I guess I'm a non-alcoholic!'

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. No rationalizing here; just facts.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

To each their own. Tomato juice isnt my gateway to a bloody mary, orange juice doesn't make me crave a screwdriver, Ive had NA beer and the same.

It comes back to "if you wonder if its right or wrong ...its probably not for you"
Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv;5103974

And before someone says it, if they haven't already while I've been typing this - if they believe 'non alcoholic beers are for non alcoholics' - then I would have to add that it would only stand to reason that alcoholic beers [U
are[/U] for alcoholics. That expression annoys the crap out of me, so I thought I'd hopefully beat anyone to the punch .

And someone claiming as much sobriety as you claim admitting you drink something with alcohol in it saddens many.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I have NA beer if I go out for dinner and NA wine in the house occasionally. It doesn't trigger anything for me, I have no desire to drink the real stuff and have been sober almost 14months now.
I think recovery is a personal thing and judging people's recovery based on whether they drink this stuff or not is a little unfair
Old 12-30-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sharing experience is fine, and I'm an each to their own kinda guy - but I'm always intrigued/annoyed by those who drink NA, particularly the long timers, who invariably feel the need to argue their case, or defend their drinking of it, in the Newcomers forum.

I don't give a tinkers cuss what you do.
Lets just remember what we're here for and who our audience is.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Dee
SR
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

what Dee said...
Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Well by the looks of things on here my post caused quite the fire storm... I was honestly just curious about how some if us in recovery feel about NA drinks. Didn't mean for an argument to come about. Thank you all for the advice and your thoughts on this.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Man that's one confusing bit of advice you've gotten. It would confuse me anyway. Myself, I stayed away from non-alcoholic drinks in my early sobriety just because I wasn't sure what the taste of it would do. Later, drinking became a non-issue for me and I didn't see them as risky behavior. I stay away from caffeine for my blood pressure but I still love my coffee and iced tea so drink those decaffeinated. I like beer with Mexican food so I have a non-alcoholic one with those sometimes. I also enjoy red wine with Italian food especially and will have non-alcoholic with that sometimes. I can only think of three times in 25 years when I've had either NA beer or NA wine alone without food but it has never been a replacement for alcohol. I guess the main thing to look at in deciding to drink NA or not is... why.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
And someone claiming as much sobriety as you claim admitting you drink something with alcohol in it saddens many.
Tom, your resentment is becoming incredibly transparent. I think you need to start praying for me. And doing a really intense 4th or 10th step. Don't you agree?

Oh wait... you prefer to take my posts to your sponsor and laugh at me. I forgot.

I wish you well. And I will pray for you. Right now, in fact.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please take it to PM guys.

Dee
SR
Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

and for the second and last time - this is the Newcomers forum.

We really try not to be heavy handed but if I or Anna feels your post is not suitable for this forum it will be removed.

Dee
SR
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barefootjunker View Post
Amazing how much rationalization is going into this. It is still a beer which contains alcohol, no mater how low, it does. As for recovering, or recovered.... I don't know a single recovered alcoholic recovery is a life long progress, it only takes picking up once to restart the insanity.
100% agree! I will never drink NA beer because it has ALCOHOL in it. It's really not "non-alcoholic" beer at all. Even if a small amount...it's alcohol! Alcohol is poison to me. If I drink alcohol I have relapsed.

Also agree that we are never "recovered". If we are "recovered" then that means we can drink again "normally". I prefer to say I am in "remission". If I don't take my medicine (AA, SR etc.) my disease may rear it's ugly head again.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by blueyes618 View Post
Well by the looks of things on here my post caused quite the fire storm... I was honestly just curious about how some if us in recovery feel about NA drinks. Didn't mean for an argument to come about. Thank you all for the advice and your thoughts on this.
Don't worry, you re good. There are a few subjects here which come up on a regular basis and always make for a heated debate.
Personally I am not in favor of them and I don't see the point. I drank to get drunk. I see drinking N/A drinks as trying to get one's cake and eating it too and it brings to my mind that "half measures availed us nothing."
It is a bit like a guy who has gotten out of jail and is going straight but still dresses up as a gang banger. Actually if you go to some "recovery clubs" , you see a lot of those, some even claiming old timer status >rolling eyes<
Anyway: To thy own self be true.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Don't worry, you re good. There are a few subjects here which come up on a regular basis and always make for a heated debate. Personally I am not in favor of them and I don't see the point. I drank to get drunk. I see drinking N/A drinks as trying to get one's cake and eating it too and it brings to my mind that "half measures availed us nothing." It is a bit like a guy who has gotten out of jail and is going straight but still dresses as a gang banger. Actually if you go to some "recovery clubs" , you see a lot of those, some even claiming old timer status >rolling eyes< Anyway: To thy own self be true.
I agree, don't worry Blue. I found the subject interesting. I just know for "me" a NA beer would make me want a real one and because of the alcohol content it might "wake up" my disease again. Maybe I'm weak? But I really just think I am scared to death of this disease! I respect other peoples choices. "Live and Let Live!" :-)

I also got a chuckle out of the little SR "fight". Haha.

If a newcomer is reading this, keep coming back! Don't worry about 2 people arguing. It's usually very kind and loving here. Just ignore. Never give up!!!

I pray every single night for everyone on SR! I really do! :-)
Old 12-30-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
I agree, don't worry Blue. I found the subject interesting. I just know for "me" a NA beer would make me want a real one and because of the alcohol content it might "wake up" my disease again. Maybe I'm weak? But I really just think I am scared to death of this disease! I respect other peoples choices. "Live and Let Live!" :-)

I also got a chuckle out of the little SR "fight". Haha.

If a newcomer is reading this, keep coming back! Don't worry about 2 people arguing. It's usually very kind and loving here. Just ignore. Never give up!!!

I pray every single night for everyone on SR! I really do! :-)
Thanks!

Being sober hasn't made any of us perfect yet .
Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I love pomegranate juice in my wine glass.

I also like the very sober feeling I have at the end of the night. For me, it's not a trigger. It's just a glass of juice.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I like sparkling grape juice cut with sparkling water so it's not so sweet. Also, sparkling water and real cranberry juice with twist of lime on the rocks.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I like fruit juices mixed with club soda.
Over the holidays discovered sparkling cranberry juice, mixed with club soda and a lime in a festive glass is awesome!
Bought a case of the sparkling cranberry!

Drinking more tea. Trying to develop a "taste" for it....not there yet....

At restaurants, stick to club soda or iced tea.
At a pub, had a bottle of fancy root beer. Everyone thought I was drinking real beer......

Last night at yet another Christmas party at a Mexican restaurant, the margaritas were flowing and looked really good. I thought about ordering a "virgin" margarita, but didn't trust the communication with the waiter to actually get an alcohol free version, so decided to stick to the iced tea.....

The quit is still too fragile and must be protected at 52 days!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread has reached the end of the line.
Thanks everyone

Dee
SR