Notices

Non-alcoholic beer/virgin cocktails?

Old 12-30-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I've been having this debate with myself for a few weeks now. I've been sober for 14 months, never had a NA beer (except once when I was still drinking, thought I was getting a great deal on a 6 pack....should've read the label properly).

About a week ago I was on the bus home after a long shift, ending a long week in work. Fortunately, I don't get cravings all that often, but at that time the only thing I could think about was how much I wanted a cold beer. I wasn't thinking about getting drunk, just the enjoyment I'd get out of tasting that beer. I strongly considered picking up some NA beer on my way home.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. Weighing up the pros and cons. Eventually I decided to just wait out the craving. The way I see it, if you have to question it that much, just leave it. It's not worth it. Would it have lead to drinking "real" beer? I don't know, probably not at first, but there's no point risking it.

I do know a guy who has 10 years in recovery and loves the stuff, drinks it regularly and hasn't relapsed. But we're all different. What works for him doesn't necessarily work for me.

I know how to overcome cravings, I've had plenty of practise at it. It's been working for me so far so I'm going to continue doing that. Cravings only last a short while, and going down that road could lead to serious trouble.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

NA beer is still beer, it has alcohol content, is brewed the same, and if you drink enough can result in the same. If your trying to stay sober it should never be an option.

If your trying to be sober why would you subject yourself to behavior that just mimics what you were doing before? It can't be healthy to your sobriety. Cunning baffling and powerful, and in a new years party situation, down right dangerous if you have admitted your being powerless over alcohol. Using a crutch to try and ease your feelings of wanting to fit in with the crowd. I know I will never fit in with the crowd in the sense of being able to drink with them. So why try and pretend, why feed your av with ammo?

Most here know that what they were doing before didn't work, those that work a program here know that they are powerless over alcohol, that drinking leads to dark places. Why ride the line of being one step away, or even already being across the line by drinking NA.

Besides, the crap is too expensive for stuff that tastes even close to the real deal to not have the goods in it. If I'm going to spend that kinda cash I'd just buy some Great Lakes Christmas Ale and be done with it. Especially as I am in AA and it is considered by most as a relapse to drink the crap. So if I'm gonna waist the money, I'd just do it right.

I just don't drink today, tomorrow is just a today that is not here yet.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

fruit smoothies, juice drinks and milkshakes are awesome!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have about 3 1/2 years of sober time and I, once in a while, will have an NA beer
with Thai or Mexican food.

I enjoy it, it compliments the taste of the food for me, and I do not find it triggering.

However, I don't think you should do this early in sobriety or if it is at all triggering for you. I also don't think using NA beer like you used to use real beer is a good plan at all.

Just my take on what works for me
Old 12-30-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

if I did drink non alcoholic beer I would not share it here because it might cause another one to stumble
MM
Old 12-30-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I drank beer to get drunk. NA beer would definitely trigger the monster. Or low alcohol beer. I like to have weird juice mixes if I'm out and feel like something special. Cranberry juice and tonic water is one of my favorites. I would like to try some others. And the juice mixes have nothing to do with alcohol to me. Nothing. They taste good. And if you are in a high pressure environment (like can't get out of that New Years party) they look like something alcoholic if you put them in a pretty glass and people won't ask you to drink all night. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Jennifer
Old 12-30-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

NA beer and virgin cocktails seem rathe pointless to me. I like tomato and orange juices well enough and see no reason to pretend they're something else. I never liked the taste of alcohol. I drank for effect.

To each their own.

-allan
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Drinking NA drinks when trying to quit is like setting yourself up for failure to me. To me, all or nothing means to not mimick the old behaviors that brought me here.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What would yu say to the heroin addict pushin saline?
The coke addict snorting baking soda?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The only time NA beer has appealed to me is when it's hot and I'm doing outdoor labor. I like the taste of it. I also like the taste of ginger ale in the same conditions.

NA cocktails are a waste of money. A virgin Cuba Libre is just a coke. A virgin mary just tomato juice. Add Tabasco.

Here's the real danger: a harried bartender or waitroid on a busy night. I've had plenty of drinks so well made that the alcohol didn't taste. One mistake by staff and you'll know in a little while. And that monster in your hindbrain will have happy feet.

So, don't take the chance when away from home. You want to treat yourself while at home, I don't see it as being worse than ice cream.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

this recurring conversation is a perfect example of the differences between us. while we have many things in common, recovery is no longer a cookie-cutter thing. in the modern world we owe it to ourselves to figure out whats working and whats not.

personally, as a self identifying "beer connoisseur", i have been completely blindsided by my feelings for NA beer. not scared of it as a relapse trigger. BUT, in sobriety, i have found that beer doesnt even smell good to me anymore. i really had myself fooled about all the taste profile crap i used to talk.

when i stopped drinking, i was really upset about missing all the beer and wine nuances. i had spent years developing a vocabulary! now, dont miss it a bit. one of the big surprises about recovery. -a pleasant surprise.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
Kinda reminds me of the "flourless" cake Venecia was making the other day. Interesting idea but I don't see the point
Well, ol' Julia Child here won't be trying that one again.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barefootjunker View Post
NA beer is still beer, it has alcohol content, is brewed the same, and if you drink enough can result in the same. If your trying to stay sober it should never be an option.

Especially as I am in AA and it is considered by most as a relapse to drink the crap.
Neither of those statements are true. The chances of getting drunk on NA beer are equal to your chances of getting drunk on just about any kind of fruit juice. It's just not going to happen.

I know lots of people sober many years who have an NA beer from time to time. And while I know one arrogant idiot in NA that considers it a relapse, I never heard anyone in AA call it that. I've heard people advise against it, as they are doing here (myself included), but to label it a slip is not only not factual in any way whatsoever, but dangerous IMO. That's like saying if the OP decided to have an NA beer last night they might just as well go out and buy a 6 of Bud today. According to you, what's the difference?

According to me, there's a life and death difference.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
The only time NA beer has appealed to me is when it's hot and I'm doing outdoor labor. I like the taste of it. I also like the taste of ginger ale in the same conditions. NA cocktails are a waste of money. A virgin Cuba Libre is just a coke. A virgin mary just tomato juice. Add Tabasco. Here's the real danger: a harried bartender or waitroid on a busy night. I've had plenty of drinks so well made that the alcohol didn't taste. One mistake by staff and you'll know in a little while. And that monster in your hindbrain will have happy feet. So, don't take the chance when away from home. You want to treat yourself while at home, I don't see it as being worse than ice cream.
When I was still working at the bar, I constantly feared them accidentally putting alcohol in my drink. There is one b word that would probably do it on purpose. I would watch them like a hawk

Jennifer
Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/relapse/a/aa000104a.htm
Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Three statements in this immediately caught my eye............."

1) "...there is now a new study out that seems to support the theory that it can cause a relapse for recovering alcoholics..."

2) "...a team of California scientists report that smell may be enough to trigger cravings and a subsequent relapse among certain alcoholics..."

3) "...As many as 90 percent of alcoholics will experience one relapse in the four years after they quit drinking, according to statistics from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism..."

As to................:

1) This may be true of 'recovering' alcoholics, but I'm recovered, and these NA malt beverages do nothing for me but taste ok (some of them);

2) I guess that depends on who these 'certain' alcoholics are; not me or any of my friends, and the smell(?) trigger craving and relapse.....oh, puhleeze, gimme a break;

3) I guess my friends and I are members of the other 10%.

"...NA beer is still beer, it has alcohol content, is brewed the same, and if you drink enough can result in the same..."

I used to drink beer (a 12-pack to get started). Since NA malt beverages have about 1/10th the alcohol of most American beers, I'd need to consume approximately 120 12oz bottles to equal that....not gonna happen.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If one is going to relapse, one is going to relapse. <Period.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I did drink 2 NA beers over the summer. I was not craving when I had them. I drink coffee, tea and water now - an occasional energy drink. I might not ever drink another but we'll see come summer. I would never try to assimilate drinking for any reason.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Amazing how much rationalization is going into this. It is still a beer which contains alcohol, no mater how low, it does.

As for recovering, or recovered.... I don't know a single recovered alcoholic recovery is a life long progress, it only takes picking up once to restart the insanity.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

In rehab, my counselor said "Non-alcoholic beers are for non-alcoholics"! That stuck with me.

I myself stay away from N/A beers and wines and go with something else. I don't cook with it or keep it in the house. I've simply stopped playing that game. That's just what works for me, I guess.