SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A question about needles and... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/354831-question-about-needles.html)

LovesToLaugh 12-29-2014 07:31 AM

A question about needles and...

Does stomach cramping in the morning, and possibly needle use necessarily mean heroin use, or are there other opiates that have the same indicators? Thanks.

p.s. I need to change my name here because laughing DOES NOT go along with anything much I have to say here. :(

doggonecarl 12-29-2014 09:18 AM

There are any number of drugs that can be taken intravenously, and the cramps could be withdrawals of some sort.

How does knowing if it's heroin or not make a difference?

LovesToLaugh 12-29-2014 03:25 PM

I just wonder. There's much I don't know, and I wonder. (Edited to say, I don't always trust the answers I get from one as being true.)

Dee74 12-29-2014 03:45 PM

I'm afraid thats out of my experience LTL.

Not sure what you mean by possibly needly use...Unless someones a diabetic I couldn't think of many more legit reasons that require regular self injection?

D

LovesToLaugh 12-29-2014 04:40 PM

Dee, I mean he is possibly using needles again. And are stomach cramps part of what one would suffer if heroin is what he's using? I mean, if withdrawing from heroin.

Lasha 12-29-2014 04:48 PM

My brother has a heroin addiction, and yes stomach cramps are a withdrawal symptom. But not just heroin, all kinds of opiates can cause this if taken in big enough quantities. The opiates slow down digestion, so once you begin to withdrawal your intensities are roaring and diarrhea is very common. My addiction was opiate pills, not near as strong as heroin (I'm told) and I would even have stomach issues during withdrawal, but never diarrhea. It does not mean that it is being done intravenously though. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Dee74 12-29-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by LovesToLaugh (Post 5103634)
Dee, I mean he is possibly using needles again. And are stomach cramps part of what one would suffer if heroin is what he's using? I mean, if withdrawing from heroin.

ok gotcha. Sorry :)

Like I say, I have no personal experience to share with heroin.

D

LovesToLaugh 12-29-2014 07:19 PM

To DoggoneCarl, Re-reading my answer, and I worded it very badly. I didn't mean I don't believe when I get one answer here. I meant I don't always believe what I hear from my son about these things, and I didn't want to say "my son". Forgive me, please, if you thought I meant you!

Carlotta 12-29-2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by LovesToLaugh (Post 5102902)

p.s. I need to change my name here because laughing DOES NOT go along with anything much I have to say here. :(

Stick around with us and you will start to heal and re learn to laugh.
Have you checked out Nar anon, coda or other face to face support groups for friends and families?

SeekingGrowth 12-29-2014 08:40 PM

Opiate use causes constipation - maybe that's behind the stomach cramps?

LovesToLaugh 12-30-2014 01:29 PM

Yes, constipation is a problem.