Notices

Feeling messed up

Old 12-28-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling messed up

Hi guys, thought I'd leave this here. I am over a month clean of alcohol and drugs, 42 days to be exact. I don't know if its the holiday season or the change of weather (shorter days, longer nights) but I have been feeling really alone and down. I have gone out to a few parties with good friends and not drank, I felt like I was missing out. It feels like everyone around me has girlfriends and are happy. I like to look at myself as a good looking guy however my relationships in the past were either one night stands or drinking buddies.. So my esteem I feel has taken a hit
I don't have the energy to stay and party (of course) and am feeling like more a recluse. I am battling with anxiety and am learning to cope with it sober and find out who I really am. I just thought I'd post a sort of a self reflection thing. My mom who is very supportive encourages me not to drink etc (her dad was an abusive drunk and she struggled with drug problems in her early days.) I blamed her the other day for controlling my life and I felt like I would just be better off being a wild drunk party animal, of course I never relapsed I just felt like its SO much harder to be sober then it is drunk.

Anyways I hope people can relate to this or have been through this kind of thing before.
Take Care, DB
Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been thru the same feelings, I haven't drank for a while but my sleep is still out of wack, It's after 11:00 and I can't sleep and feel like I'm having an anxiety attack, well I got thru another day sober but god do I need some sleep, good luck, believe me I can relate, guess I'll go lay down and hope I can go to sleep.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate! Have you tried AA? LOTS of fun, successful, smart, good looking people there! ;-) And a bonus...it helps you stay sober! Ha.

Exercise helps me when I have the winter blues. Just getting out and walking helps.

Congrats on 42 days!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

All that is very normal DB
I think as drinkers we become used to immediate gratification - real sober life is not like that.

It takes a little time to rebuild our lives, sort ourselves out, find new friends, and hopefully new partners down the track.

It might seem interminable now but you're on the right track - don't lose faith

D
Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days, that's a great achievement. I'm over two years sober and I've been feeling down lately too. I think lots of people find Christmas tough, and the Winter and dark days don't help either. I try to stick to my routine and i find that talking things through with someone who understands helps me a lot. It will pass, and things will get better. Just keep doing what you're doing, you're not alone in how you're feeling. Wish you the best.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 42 days Dharmabum