Notices

Bitter Truth

Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I didn't have to become a bag lady to fear becoming one. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I do agree that we don't have to lose everything to search for recovery. I personally didn't lose everything too , just that emotionally i was so empty.

In this share, he talked about those who have lost everything , and said the program 'works best' for them .

Also perhaps indirectly, he talked to those who are still in doubt whether AA will work for them or not .

Thanks for your great comment
Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you very much everyone for the nice comment and ideas and the warm welcoming messages. thanks

I do agree that one does not need to lose everything to come to the rooms ( I myself didn't lose everything too , I jut felt so empty from within, then I searched for a solution and in my case I asked to a God that I thought might exist at that time. I told him you have to exist man, and if you do please help me out of this misery).

This share mentioned that the program 'works best for those who...' . Perhaps in his share he mean that although program can work for anyone with any level of destruction , but for those who have lost everything, and are extremely compulsive drinkers , seems AA is the best way to help them ( I know many people are against AA in the world, but this is his idea and my personal idea. Because if I could , I would )

thanks again.

cheers
Old 01-11-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It seems to me we have to define "losing everything". I lost myself, my contentment. That was enough, my bottom, my reason to face what troubles me.

I still have a good job, a decent family life. But I wanted out. I chose this path at one point in life, and I wanted to be done and moved on to a different life.

You reach rock bottom one of two ways. You stop digging, and rebuild, or you die.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I'm going to take a page out of Dee's book (I think) and say we hit bottom when we stop digging.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I don't buy the whole having to hit rock bottom thing either. I've had my doubts and seen my share of hardship but I wasn't at rock bottom when I first decided to commit to sobriety.

Rather it was realizing that if I didn't get alcohol out of my life, that I would eventually keep digging myself further and further into a pit that would become increasingly difficult to pull myself out of.

To me it's like a cancer. The earlier you catch it the better chance you have of stopping it before it takes you down.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
I don't buy the whole having to hit rock bottom thing either. I've had my doubts and seen my share of hardship but I wasn't at rock bottom when I first decided to commit to sobriety. Rather it was realizing that if I didn't get alcohol out of my life, that I would eventually keep digging myself further and further into a pit that would become increasingly difficult to pull myself out of. To me it's like a cancer. The earlier you catch it the better chance you have of stopping it before it takes you down.
Same here. I recognized the issue before it went too far. I was starting to drink and drive more, I was starting to think about blowing off work I was starting to get into fights at home however I didn't have to get a duo didn't have to get fired or assault my wife before I decided to make a change. I put myself in control of my recovery drinking was still a choice for me and not a need. I was able to sub another drink in without disrupting my routine which was crucial for me breaking the addiction to the buzz. Now I'm working on breaking the routine or at least managing it. I didn't have to hit rock bottom to start but I am always conscious that it lingers if I choose to go back down that road...