Notices

Big Book

Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big Book

Something weird happend.I just started reading the big book today.I'm not sure if it is me being manic,,or it really doese something to me!It kind of makes sense and i'm feeling good reading it.I am surprised!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I recently had same experiences. Re-started my sobriety 50 + days ago, and after finding this place, also went back to AA. Was initially sort of dreading having to re-read the BB as for some reason in my prior 12 year stint of sobriety, I had become sort-of jaded towards it. Might have been a precurssor of the 9 year "slip". Anyway - this time around, when I started re-reading it - I really became immersed and have picked it up often now. I have no doubt that book is divinely inspired. Sorry for my long reply :-) Peace-out !! & have a great ( and sober) NY !!! MJM
Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too! Have you ever listened to the Joe and Charlie Big Book study? It's amazing and they do an AWESOME job explaining the disease etc! You can listen to it for free on YouTube. :-)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi all in this thread. There is some sort of mix up going on here, the post under aistar's name is my post which should be in the March 2013 thread. When I was online a few hours ago SR was playing up, it looks like my post has overwritten aistar's somehow? Sorry to disrupt your thread conversation, I don't know what's happened.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Marcher13
you mean this one about big book ?
That's meeeeee! still wondering! Did you have the same feeling or you meant something else?
Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going to root out my copy today. Cheers
Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Its a exellent book 2nd book i read in sobriety

Way to go Aister
Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad you are getting such a positive experience from it, Aistar

When I first went to AA and started reading the Big Book I had some really deep epiphanies, from the meetings and the book.

I've not been the same since ! In a good way !
Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Serenidad
I didn't but i'm gonna do it asap!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The longer I've been around AA the more sense the big book has made. In wading through it, it started to make sense. Old fashioned language aside, it's a blueprint for change because we need to change if we want to live happy, satisfying sober lives. I couldn't just take alcohol out of the equation and wish I could stay sober. I had to change me.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It’s often amazing when a lot of readers say it’s changed since the last time they read it while going to BB meetings constantly with the same book.

BE WELL
Old 12-29-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not an aa'er.....but....the night I decided to get sober, I downloaded the BB around 2:30am and read it cover to cover. It made complete and total sense to me - divinely inspired for sure! Haven't had a drink since (3+ years). I guess I'm not an aa'er because I totally get it - from initial thought to sobriety. That book saved my life, and I'm not a reader.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is there a big difference between the various editions?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No changes have ever been made to the first 164 pages.

Changes have been made to the stories section and prefaces added to each new edition.

Not enormous differences between editions though.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There have been a few changes in the first 164 pages, Most of them have been minor. You can find them with the link on this page. http://www.silkworth.net/bb_changes/

The stories change somewhat from edition to edition and there are other notable changes in the three subsequent editions of the book.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got sober in 1984, a good few years before the internet and popularity of AA and 12 step programs. I knew nothing at all about AA. My 2nd meeting, someone gave me a Bigbook. I buried myself in it, and will never forget the feeling of hope it gave it. I laughed out loud (ha.. lol'ed but didn't know it then) at times, at how these people knew exactly what I was going through.

I took the experience in that book, and didn't memorize any of it, but along with a few friends on the same path, made it my own. I think the BB is one of the greatest books ever written. Lots of people would agree.