Notices

Sobriety and Loneliness

Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and Loneliness

I have a desire today to be sober again. However, in order to avoid this be another knee-jerk commit on Sunday (when I am hungover/depressed) and then forget about it by next weekend I tried to do some reflection on the reasons why I drink.

My desire to drink is strongest on the weekends. I think during the week, I am usually occupied with work obligations. However, on the weekend I have more free time. Since I live alone, I think drinking at bars is my way to avoid feeling lonely. When I go out to the bar it gives me a chance to meet new people and offers an escape.

If I don’t go out and drink, I feel like I am “missing out” and feel alone. If I do drink, I will generally feel miserable the next day and waste the whole day. Sometimes it feels like either way I left with a bad option.

I know my drinking is not sustainable, and it makes my life feel like a blur. I don’t like the person I am when I drink and I think it is time to “grow up” and be sober and live the life that I want.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think firstly you need to retrain your brain - you have more choices than A go to bar and B be alone at home.

there are a multitude of other things to do...this is a good list to get the ideas flowing.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

I don't know if your friends would be interested in doing other things or not...but if not, maybe for the sake of the life you want, you need new friends?

I think you need to play the long game - instead of focusing on being lonely now, accept that this is a period of rebuilding your life the way you want it.

You will find friends who better reflect the sober life you want to lead, I guarantee it.

For now one of the easiest ways to stave off loneliness is maybe hitting a few AA meetings over the weekend?

Think hard about what exactly you're 'missing out' on - I missed out on large chunks out of 2 decades thanks to drinking.

Play the tape through and accept once and for all that you can never be a normal drinker.

D
Old 12-28-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think firstly you need to retrain your brain - you have more choices than A go to bar and B be alone at home.

there are a multitude of other things to do...this is a good list to get the ideas flowing.

I don't know if your friends would be interested in doing other things or not...but if not, maybe for the sake of the life you want, you need new friends?

I think you need to play the long game - instead of focusing on being lonely now, accept that this is a period of rebuilding your life the way you want it.

You will find friends who better reflect the sober life you want to lead, I guarantee it.

For now one of the easiest ways to stave off loneliness is maybe hitting a few AA meetings over the weekend?

Think hard about what exactly you're 'missing out' on - I missed out on large chunks out of 2 decades thanks to drinking.

Play the tape through and accept once and for all that you can never be a normal drinker.

D
Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The site is going mad.
I am not the author of the previous post...

D
Old 12-28-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The site is going mad.

D
I was unable to connect for about 20 minutes, error message stated the site was actually down. Thread hijack over...
Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
I have a desire today to be sober again. However, in order to avoid this be another knee-jerk commit on Sunday (when I am hungover/depressed) and then forget about it by next weekend I tried to do some reflection on the reasons why I drink.

My desire to drink is strongest on the weekends. I think during the week, I am usually occupied with work obligations. However, on the weekend I have more free time. Since I live alone, I think drinking at bars is my way to avoid feeling lonely. When I go out to the bar it gives me a chance to meet new people and offers an escape.

If I don’t go out and drink, I feel like I am “missing out” and feel alone. If I do drink, I will generally feel miserable the next day and waste the whole day. Sometimes it feels like either way I left with a bad option.

I know my drinking is not sustainable, and it makes my life feel like a blur. I don’t like the person I am when I drink and I think it is time to “grow up” and be sober and live the life that I want.
It sounds like you're talking right out of my brain. I feel the exact same way. Except, unfortunately, I got laid off a while ago and my weekend drinking spread to the week. It effing sucks.

I totally get going out to meet people to not feel alone. But looking back I've met few-to-none decent people. I wish I could get all that money back. I also get the "blur" and not liking who you are when you drink. I always look back on conversations, benign as they are, and think, "who is that person? He's an idiot."

If I slip, I force myself to get up in the morning. Working out with a hangover is a good punishment. I just wish I had a sober social life. It sounds like you're in the same place. Not having anyone to socialize with might be the worst part.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee – I really appreciate your posts. I feel drinking has made sober activities I used to enjoy seem boring. Hopefully, in time this will normalize and I will enjoy these things again.

Most of my close friends are drinkers so I will likely need to make more sober friends.

I think the AA suggestion is good – I want to get back in a routine. I will stick close to SR too.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sober and I live alone (with two dogs and four cats) and I am not lonely. My animals give me all the company I need, and if I need human interaction, I know what to do.

Just because I'm sober doesn't mean I have to be lonely. Now that I'm sober, I enjoy my own company.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Loneliness is hands down my biggest trigger. Sometimes I don't get to see my son for days, and in that time I start thinking that a drink will make me feel better, even though I know it won't. In fact, I missed hanging out with him today because I woke up hungover, late and didn't want him to see me like that. It's not fair to him or his mother, and she put up with my drinking for a long time before she had finally had enough. I've found that AA is a huge help, and for some reason I keep turning my back on it, especially when I need it the most. As horrible as the first few sober days can be, euphoric recall is a very real phenomenon. This site is truly a godsend.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You took the words out of my life, I feel healthier not drinking but there are some things I miss, I liked the social scene in bars. I'm doing my best to fill that void with other pursuits. I think you will feel glad if you stick to staying sober. good luck to you.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

D
Wow, thank you Dee - this really spoke to me. NYC, I share your feelings - I am mid-30s, presently single, live alone, and have been big into the bar/party scene for almost 20 years. This is exactly what I needed to hear:

"instead of focusing on being lonely now, accept that this is a period of rebuilding your life the way you want it."

If you continue to stay sober, the rest will fall into place...
Old 12-28-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

NYC, I used to drink on weekends only. Then, I took my last drink on a Tuesday at work. It only gets worse.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The site is going mad.

D
Well that about scared the wits outta me. I really hope you were able to make sense of that...otherwise... "I still scared!" lol.

ANewDay... I completely understand. I have moved to a new town recently ..and through Christmas I came face to face with the reality of having no friends or life built here yet. All my life I have made friends via work and bars.

We need to put new activities and ways to meet people into our lives. We can meet people via taking a class, joining a gym or a church, volunteering at events, joining a book or running or hiking club. We need to fill our lives differently.

Can you think of things you can do to fill your time?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm doing fine

by chance I found two articles that may help:

5 Ways to Fight Loneliness Over the HolidaysÂ*|Â*Lisa Firestone

Loneliness during the Holidays: How to Cope
Old 12-29-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I thought by quitting I would miss out on something to. I am missing out on depression, anxiety, insanity, hangovers, shakes, paranoia, threat of jail everytime I drink outside my house, etc... Its not worth it. The beginning was weird but as time went on it got so much better. I enjoy my life now and my sobriety is very important to me.

Maybe give your friends a chance. Ask them to do something sober and see what happens. Its ok to tell people you dont want to drink anymore. They will have a new respect for you. Those that dont cant kiss off.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

D
This
Old 12-29-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It took me a long while attempting to 'figure out' why I drink.

Spent a lot of my precious years on this liferide throwing away my gifts getting drunk... Then 'reflecting' on why.

Finally figured out that the reason I drank is I'm an alcoholic.

Now I don't drink. The 'reasons' still come and go in life. But I choose not to.

And life is a whole lot better.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Question

The site is going mad.

D
Hmmm... i believe it was supossed to be my post. odd.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I look at it as a choice between some loneliness or despair. While drinking I felt despair. Loneliness can be overcome with time. Drinking only added more despair.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I look at it as a choice between some loneliness or despair. While drinking I felt despair. Loneliness can be overcome with time. Drinking only added more despair.
You are exactly right with that!