Notices

when did you know it was time to quit

Old 12-27-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when did you know it was time to quit

Hey just thought how did you know you were done.

What happened? What was your thinking?
What advice would you give the old you starting the journey of recovery?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I knew it was time to quit when I couldn't quit. Despite my best efforts and resolve, I was addicted.
It took me many failed attempts, but I slowly was able to quit.
To anyone trying to quit, I would say get help. AA or some other program.
Come here and post and read.
It may seem impossible, but many of us have quit. We're living proof it can be done.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I admitted i was alcoholic around march 2013 it took 3 months to get sober nothing could stop me drinking i realised there isnt a cure for this if i drink bad things happens to me

I woke up one day (july 14th 2013) and just said enough is enough and ive been sober ever since first time ive been sober over 18 days (18 days was my previous record)

This january 14th il be 18 months
Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
SW and GL were pretty close to where I was.

Fortunately I was attending some AA meetings and liked the people but continued to drink because I was different or terminally unique as they said.
I heard many stories about the effects of continued drinking and at the end of my drinking saw the same starting to happen to me and became scared I’m heading there also.

I asked for help and got what I needed and haven’t had a desire to drink in many years. BFTGOG.

BE WELL
Old 12-28-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nothing special happened in my case. I had been trying to quit for good for years without success, then on a few week bender I ran out of money and only had a few beers left. I drank them, felt nasty for a while, and sticked to permanent sobriety. My day 1 was a friday.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Finished a marathon with my wife, and was not happy. Finished a bottle and a half of scotch with a friend on thanksgiving. Was angry at everybody, because I was right!

Man - I can't even track my stupidity back to a tragedy, I have lived a charmed life.

God was and continues to be great to me, but I knew it was time to quit when I stopped believing in him and started only to believe in me.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting question. Nothing catastrophic had just happened like a DUI etc.. It was just the sum total of my miserable relationship with alcohol finally flipped a switch in my brain. I had known for years that I needed to quit...I just didn't.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, lots and lots of things happened. Relationships, humiliation, wasted money, job issues, health issues...yet I had a compulsion to keep it up. The thought of me without alcohol was not fathomable. Quitting was not something I could do. That was the turning point and when I got help.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

every morning or when i would revive from the drunk of last night i would reach out for my cure that would start my day off a drink of cider, of course i would be drunk again within minutes as i just couldnt sober up

my matress would be soaked from my wetting the bed and if it was a good night there would be no sick on the bed as i might of made it to the bucket

when i would take that first sip i would be throwing up until i could hold the drink down

my life was in bits no one cared anymore about me i was in a flat that was given to people who had come out of prison and had no where else to go

i once had my own business and a lot of money, with a wife, and 5 kids yet i ended up with nothing but a bottle of cider as it was cheap

the torture i would be living in with my mind was huge as i wanted my kids back, i wanted my business back, i wanted my wife back, i wanted my life back but i had no hope as i was now a criminal with nothing and all i could do was drink to get out of my pain

the drink helped me to get to black out states were i could at last get out of my torment
but then came a time were no matter how drunk i was it just wasnt working i was still dying inside of me

it took me 4 days to get a sober brain enough for me to be able to get out of the flat without falling over

i shook like anything but somehow i made it to an aa meeting

the rest now is history for me as that was almost 11 years ago now, i look back at where i have come from and i just dont believe i could of ever gone that low yet i did

i got my kids back after being sober for just a year, in that time i also got a job and money came my way again

in short my life turned around and i only wish i had never got into that mess in the first place
but its what alcoholics do they refuse to see the truth about themselves or there drinking and will defend there drinking till the very end

there is nothing new about my story really as i have heard it all before in aa there warnings to people that if there like me then the road downwards is a certainty

i was once just a weekend bender drinker yet it progressed in me to daily drinking or daily getting plastered drunk i should say as i was not someone who could just drink a couple of drinks a day i got drunk when i drank and then would do all sorts of stupid things etc

but for me it came right down the low end of things when i had lost enough and i was ready to accept i am an alcoholic that the drinking was a real problem for me

until that time came i had kept on trying to control the drink everytime hoping that i wouldnt get drunk and make a fool of myself

if only i could just drink a couple of drinks was my mission

today i know i can never take just 1 drink as i might get away with it for a time but in the end i will end up a 24 / 7 drunk
i dont want to every go there again

but i had to be beaten for me and i can see many others dont have to go down to the level i did i just wish i was one of them but i had my chance when i was just 23 and i first tried aa
i managed to stay sober for 15 years but because i quit aa and did things on my own in my own way etc it really was only a matter of time before one day i would pick up the drink again
i did nothing to maintain staying sober i paid a high price to gain the knowledge i have gained from it all

but i thought i was a different type of drinker and not really an alcoholic back then as i hadnt done half of the things others had done

i came to learn i hadnt done them yet
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the insights I've learnt allot. I appreciate each and every reply and can relate to everyone.