Notices

Soccer and alcohol link

Old 12-28-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Soccer and alcohol link

Hey everyone, just joined last night and really glad I did!!

Just a quick question, I absolutely love football/soccer. I'm very passionate about both playing and watching it. The problem arises with my desire to start drinking as soon as a game comes on the TV, I don't know the exact reason for this, I think it's a combination of different factors.

I desperately want to stop drinking, but I don't want to stop watching football so I'm wondering what the best solution to this problem is? I think the association in my mind between these two things will be hard to break.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Get some non alcoholic drinks and have them handy when soccer starts. You don't have to drink alcohol just because you're watching soccer.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It can be done, the breaking of the association between events and drinking.

When I buy a ticket to go watch local sport, or go to a concert or sit down to watch a game on TV, the main part of the activity is the event, the drinking was only secondary to the event, keeping that in mind made things easier to separate both.

However there's another possibility, which I also had to challenge myself with being honest, was sport simply an excuse to drink and I didn't like the game for the game itself? was the drinking more important? that's another possibility, but when I really thought it through, I did enjoy sport for sport reasons, which if that was the case then sitting with a cup of tea or a non alcoholic drink shouldn't be a problem if it were true.

For Sobriety to work, and I know understanding from where you're posting from, soccer is huge here and it can be tough, as drinking and soccer comes hand in hand, but we have to make it happen and make a tough decision on soccer can be enjoyed without alcohol.

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum

Sober friends and satalite television my friend
Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies, some very good tips. I do enjoy a wide range of non alcoholic drinks so I'll get the fridge stacked asap, least. I see youre a dog lover, just like myself, I help out at an animal sanctuary near where I live. I think PK you are right about the event coming first, I need to remember that! I particularly love Guinness and to be honest it's hard imagining never drinking it again!! What a superb name soberwolf, love it!