Notices

Public Intoxication

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Public Intoxication

Hello everyone. I was doing quite well at 42 days, decided I'd have a little slip and ended up in jail for the first time. I only got Public Intoxication, no DWI, but I was pretty drunk and couldn't wiggle out of this one. I'm looking for a job and already have extra challenges because I have ADD and just make a ton of mistakes at work no matter how hard I try not to.
How bad is this on my record? It's so recent.
Any suggestions for me? Oh I also have horrible credit.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stay close!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stay Strong and Motivated

Just try to stay motivated and do the best you can. I believe the job issue may depend on whether or not there's a background check. If there's a pending charge, there may be a delay on your acceptance/offer. It really depends on what type of job/company you're going for. I'm not sure, but I think public intoxication is a misdemeanor which isn't the end of the world. You may have to get a job that's doesn't require a background check until you clear up the charges, just to hold you over financially.

Honestly, just keep trying to stay sober, focus on what you have to do to make what you want to happen, happen. You went 42 days which is awesome, you can do it again and keep going this time! As far as the ADD, maybe see a doctor about getting it under control if it's affecting your work.

Stay strong, stay motivated. You can and will get through this!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really don't know about the charges but if this your first offense, you may be able to receive probation before judgment. You should probably seek legal advice.

As for sobriety, you amassed 42 days; you can do this; have you thought about how you can avoid similar situations or how you can tweak your plan?

Keep at it, redladyslipper. Sobriety is worth the effort; redladyslipper is worth the effort.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry that your slip ended up that way but 42 days is awesome! You can do it again! I ended up with a Public intox about 4 years ago. I was told in my state that it is a misdemeanor, like a traffic ticket and it will not show up on my record. I am living proof that you can get a job. I had a DWI on my record in 08 plus that in 2010. I had to pass state boards and background checks. The DWI is the only thing that showed up and I was honest on my applications about it. Good luck to you... it will all work out and now you know where one drink can end up.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi redlady. Know the feeling but don't be too hard on yourself. It's embarrassing, but happens to a lot of people at some point or another. Where I'm from its called a 'Public Order' offense. Of course it can get you in trouble but it's not considered a serious offence as none was was harmed or no malice or intent. It's the same when applying for jobs AFAIK, I did enquire as to same before. So probably same over there, anyway don't let it deter your progress now. Peace
Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep trying redladyslipper
Old 12-28-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It may not show up in a background check? That's good to know. I'll have to look into how my own state does things a little more. Yes one slip more could ruin a person's life. My little slip right before that I injured myself pretty bad. I think I'll be on his board every day for the next YEAR
Old 12-28-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

There is 24h support have you joined the 24h thread its seriously awesome

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-31-a.html
Old 12-28-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Redladyslipper, one of the things I would be doing is trying to evaluate why I picked up that first glass and what I would do differently to prevent that situation from occurring.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really needed to accept that Sobriety was all or nothing, I was now a "non drinker" and that a period of abstinence wasn't going to fix or cure me, that realisation stopped all decisions to drink being entertained.

Go at things again!! You can do this!!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Here's a good site to read........................:

https://www.criminalwatchdog.com/faq...kground-checks

(o:
NoelleR

P.S. It can also all depend on the state (TX has a 7 year rule)...............:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/backg...nors-4792.html
Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

here it is a misdemeanor. Most of the time they hold people until they are sober, they pay a fine, release and that is it. Not sure where you are from. I have never understood public intox. If your violent, disorderly, or danger to someone I understand that. Being tipsy and not behind the wheel to me is not considered criminal.

Once you are sober and working a program the rest will come together. It takes time.

You had over a month. Everytime I relapsed something worse happened each time. Be glad it was only a public intox.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I know what led to it. A few days before, I started wanting a drink and for the next few days I kept thinking and thinking about how good it would feel. I shouldn't even let my mind get that far.
Thank you for that link NoelleR.
They also found the open alcohol bottle in my car. I don't even know if I got out or just sat in there, drinking.

Why is this thing so progressive?? I didn't resist arrest but made such a scene at the jail, slamming on the door and shouting they finally strapped me down in a "crazy chair" for two hours and I continued to shout and sing to get on the cop's nerves. That behavior is NOT shy old me and I didn't used to get so out of control when I drank. Can't imagine it getting worse.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do it!