Notices

HALT really does work

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HALT really does work

I wanted to write this post to remind me but also help others.

More and more I am convinced that HALT works.

Last night I felt horrible.
I don't know if anyone else gets it, but sometimes I experience a feeling of uneasiness. The best way to describe it might be a bit like feeling home sick. I don't know, its just not nice and strange and causes me lots of anxiety.

Last night I had this feeling.
I was also going through some angry and resentful feelings in my head.
Family politics and such. The sort of thing that I can put up with all year round, but at christmas and the festive season, is hard to deal with.

I felt awful. I thought last night, today I am going to go for a long lonely walk on my own and put the world to rights. I felt down, I felt depressed and I felt anxious.
I had been out with my daughter during the day. I was overcome with this feeling thatI had to go home, be somewhere familiar, be somewhere safe, warm and cosy.

I got home, got my laptop, came on SR, went on facebook, made a cup of tea, put the fire on, put my cosy lamps on.. i got my daughter to bed. I went to bed. I slept really well. My daughter slept really well.

This morning I felt like a different person.
No need for a long, lonely, miserable walk to mutter negative things in my head.
The anxious feeling had gone.
I felt warm, rested and the duvet was nice and heavy.

In terms of HALT, I think I felt lonely and tired.
The early night did me good and my daughter too.

I'm sure this post probably sounds mundane and not necessary, but even if its just for me, I just want to remind myself that my warm bed, my home, my comforts are often all thats needed for me to feel so much better.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to read that you're feeling better, Sasha. I know when I feel sad or down, I need to switch gears. Your words will help others, too.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is HALT?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It stands for

HUNGRY
ANGRY
LONELY
TIRED

If we let ourselves get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, it can lead to thoughts of drinking and relapsing.

Sometimes, some company, a chat, a good meal or a good sleep can make the world of difference and stop us from heading towards having a drink.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That makes since.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

I love this post. The simple things are often the best things. The difference a night of sleep, or a cup of tea with a friend, it is huge. I am restarting here and I appreciate this reminder. And relate to the festivus creeps.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better today, Sasha. Your post has helped me, thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sasha , thank you for this post. I totally get that feeling.. Uneasiness... I have also referred to it as unsettled. And usually I can't put my finger on why I feel that way. But it is that exact feeling that has caused me to drink after varying periods of sobriety. But, I have also had that feeling and did exactly what you did.. I didn't drink, I took care of myself, I cuddled up in bed with my dogs and read a book or sr and went to sleep. And woke up the next day feeling peaceful once again.

I think it goes to show that we will get those feelings and we have a choice how to handle them.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's so good to know I'm not the only one with those feelings and there's a better way to come out on the other side of them.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Sasha
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great reminder, Sasha; thanks.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I completely agree with the acronym, HALT. It lead to my last relapse. I'm very happy you're in s better place Sasha.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Sasha , thank you for this post. I totally get that feeling.. Uneasiness... I have also referred to it as unsettled. And usually I can't put my finger on why I feel that way. But it is that exact feeling that has caused me to drink after varying periods of sobriety. But, I have also had that feeling and did exactly what you did.. I didn't drink, I took care of myself, I cuddled up in bed with my dogs and read a book or sr and went to sleep. And woke up the next day feeling peaceful once again.

I think it goes to show that we will get those feelings and we have a choice how to handle them.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's so good to know I'm not the only one with those feelings and there's a better way to come out on the other side of them.

You know I'm not glad you have the same feelings. They are horrible feelings. But I am glad you understand.

I can only describe my feeling as anxiety, mixed with regret, sadness, sorrow, depression, worry, fear, self loathing and weakness and god knows what else.

It truly is awful.
I sometimes get it when I'm going home and I know its just going to be me and my daughter.

Thanks for sharing that you have it too xx
Old 12-28-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Totally agree with an early night sometimes can be a great way of making it just one more day!!

Great stuff Sasha!!