Notices

What do you do when....

Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had a few challenges with this early on.... but now I just say "no thanks, I don't drink".

These days, I'm amazed it ever seemed so hard....

Because it's so simple.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Get the "I'm not drinking this year" sentence in very early on, people's expectations need to be set up from the start.

So when you're asked what would you like and have a non alcoholic drink, then that get's the ball rolling!!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Jennifer,

As I recall, you have some significant sober time under your belt so whatever you are doing seems to be working. Other than the obnoxiousness of somebody relentlessly pestering you to drink, (which is quite bizarre), I think the "no thanks, I'm not drinking" will suffice. Unless this guy plans to hold you down and pour alcohol down your throat, I wouldn't really stress about it...
Old 12-29-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks conquest!

I think I am making a bigger deal out of it than I need to because this was always my planned drunk. Every new year I planned to get annihilated. If I got that way on any other day of the year it was an "accident". And I had a lot of "accidents" on a regular basis. But this is the big one. I am curious to see how drunk everyone gets. I always thought everyone got as wasted as I did. I have a stinking feeling I was wrong.

Jennifer
Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
My husband's family is the exact same way...haha. They have a full bar in their 1500 square foot basement! It's like a real pub in their house complete with a large stone bar, wine cellar, 2 large refrigerators full of beer, beer on tap, every kind of liquor you can imagine, pool table, large screen TVs, surround sound....etc. And I have to go there all the time. They are CLUELESS even though people in the family have died from alcoholism! They are truly CLUELESS. Alcohol is ALWAYS such an important part of EVERYTHING at there house or any family function there! It's sooo annoying! Ugh! Geez, I guess I needed to vent! Haha
Right here...Serenidad nailed it.

Jennifer