Notices

Hi there!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi there!

Hey everyone, I've been struggling for some time with problems relating to alcohol, problems that are too long in detail to go into for now!! It never occurred to me before to try forums like this, a friend recommended it to me today so I thought I may aswell try it! I'm so frustrated with my inability to stop drinking, I know my life would be better without it, but for some reason the allure just proves too much for me and I end up getting wastedfrom time to time. Then I get depressed about it and my overall confidence is just shot to bits. Then I decide enough is enough and make a vow to quit, this helps me to feel better again. But then the whole cycle starts over again! And I never make any progress I don't know what to do, I just can't seem to help myself
Old 12-27-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

posting and reading here really helped break that cycle of drinking again for me.

It's much harder to make a cavalier decision when recovery is on your mind.

I actually recommend you write out your story no matter how long it is - it may help keep you focused and sober next time you get to thinking about drinking?

D
Old 12-27-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Join the club!!!
I'm the same way, we just MUST remember why we stopped drinking when things smooth out
Old 12-27-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, dalekingston, to SR; glad you found us.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome dale! You will fit right in here - we all understand how you're feeling.

I drank most of my life. I never thought a community like SR could do much to help. I found comfort and encouragement in being able to talk to those who knew what I was going through. I hope you find the same relief and hope that I did. We're glad to have you as part of the family. Better days are coming.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome dale! You will fit right in here - we all understand how you're feeling.

I drank most of my life. I never thought a community like SR could do much to help. I found comfort and encouragement in being able to talk to those who knew what I was going through. I hope you find the same relief and hope that I did. We're glad to have you as part of the family. Better days are coming.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

On day one I looked at very basic things like my schedule and my most and least vulnerable times. Once I knew when I was most vulnerable I took specific steps to help. For example, during the week I would start thinking about beer around three in the afternoon as I started getting hungry and work day almost done. So I started having a big filling protein shake at my desk. I also took an alternate route home so I wouldn't pass my usual beer stop. Weekends were a little trickier....but there were times that if I had to get out to take one of my kids somewhere etc., I would leave my wallet at home. I have been very active on this site. Things have slowly gotten better and old habits are losing their grip on me. Also, hitting the weights for daily exercise is something I've done for years but have really ramped up my game there too. We're all different, but those are some of the things that have helped me. I wish you the very best!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies. I am glad I joined already!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yours is a very common story, most of us have experienced that wicked cycle of regret, determination, then drink again, hangover, shame, regret, determination, etc. ... The good news is it's completely within your power to stop this cycle. It starts the moment you decide to abstain from alcohol at all costs. It's a little scary at first, but gets easier and exponentially better once you string on some sober days. Stay on the forum, you will find a lot of support and information here. Read a lot and post a lot and you will figure this out.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum dalekingston!!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR