Notices

I need patience today and the strength...

Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need patience today and the strength...

Family Christmas party tonight and I have had many cravings today already!!

Husband is working, running around after two kids alone right now, cooking, getting things packed to take, I need to get ready, need to get the kids ready, etc.

Normally in my mind, my reward for all this craziness during the day, would be my friend alcohol later on tonight.

Trying to get thru today....one minute, one hour at a time!

Just letting it out...
Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Suzieq, if you are already having cravings, is there any way that you can stay home?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I already tried to stay at home. My husband really wants me to go. I have told him about my problem with alcohol, and how I quit. I don't think he thinks I have a problem, which I know that I do. He is a loving and caring man, I just don't think he sees a problem. I don't think he sees the extent of my drinking because he is at work a lot. He was my enabler.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Will he be supportive tonight if you tell him how important it is to you to stay sober?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He will be supportive.

I can do this. I am just overwhelmed at the moment -- but it is at this moment. I just need to get focused and find my strength.

Maybe if I have him drive the 45 minute drive tonight, I can focus on relaxing and clearing my head. Being the control freak I am, I usually drive everywhere.....
Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You may want to have a few "no thanks" lines in your head for when you are offered alcohol.

No thanks, I am way too tired for a drink.
No thanks, alcohol will make my headache worse.

Or a few diversionary conversation lines.

No thanks; hey did you hear Sally's expecting?

Be strong. Have fun.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with the one minute, hour at a time. I've done the same. As for the driving, I refuse to drive drunk and often use that as a tool to help me abstain.

Good luck today.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
I already tried to stay at home. My husband really wants me to go. I have told him about my problem with alcohol, and how I quit. I don't think he thinks I have a problem, which I know that I do. He is a loving and caring man, I just don't think he sees a problem. I don't think he sees the extent of my drinking because he is at work a lot. He was my enabler.
I also suggest staying home. This is not about your husband at this point. It's about you and your recovery.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By putting out this "prayer" of a post, someone must be looking out for me! My husband just got home early. He can now help out with the kids, getting them ready, etc. and ease some of the burden.

I am so thankful.

I will not drink today and when the urge comes, I will remember my last drunk and how I don't want to go back to that life!

Thanks for the kind words and support!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a word from the dark side. I felt the same on xmas eve. I caved and "rewarded" myself with some wine after cooking etc. it went really bad, really bad. Don't potentially ruin the night, I totally did and it wasn't worth it.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
He will be supportive.

I can do this. I am just overwhelmed at the moment -- but it is at this moment. I just need to get focused and find my strength.

Maybe if I have him drive the 45 minute drive tonight, I can focus on relaxing and clearing my head. Being the control freak I am, I usually drive everywhere.....
I really hope you can do this!

Just an observation, but I too am a control freak and isn't it strange that we would love nothing more than loosing control with alcohol! Just an observation.

Hope tonight goes ok!