Notices

Dont know why

Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dont know why

But I've been struggling with thoughts of drinking since Christmas. So many family things on with people drinking and it's been my every waking thought. How nice it would be if I were "normal" I'm sober just 6 months and thought I had this.

I'm over emotional, scared because I'm 5 months pregnant and feel a bit disconnected from everyone.

I won't put my baby in jeopardy or myself but I'm just so sad I feel like this. Disappointed in myself because of my thoughts.

Just needed to write this down.

Sorry for the glum post
Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rjh

I just joined today, Your sober 6 months, thats awesome!! also congrats on your pregnancy!
Trust me your not alone.
We are here for you!!
Smile!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have discovered that I don't have to drink to be part of the crowd. I can still be myself and have fun without drinking. It took a little getting used to. But once I got over the needing a drink to fit in mindset, I fit in just fine without it.
Hang in there.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations soon-to-be-momma! Please don't be disappointed with yourself because of your thoughts. They are just thoughts. We have the ability to control what we think and to tell those thoughts to shutup! You haven't acted on those thoughts and that is definitely something to be proud of.

Keep posting, we are here for you.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Thoughts are not actions, Foolsgold. You can't control the thoughts that come to you but you don't have to dwell on them either

Sounds to me like you're doing fine!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't torture yourself with your own thoughts.

The thoughts are just thoughts, and we have all struggled with this. Distraction is the best thing. Take a walk, clean out a drawer, write a poem, read a magazine article, come on here and read, go to the library. There are lots of ways to distract. Obsessive thinking about unhealthy things is - unhealthy.

You can change your thoughts. Have you tried meditation or yoga? It helped me a lot.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Six months sober is wonderful! I found my first sober Christmas very difficult, it gets easier though.The important thing is that you got through it all with your sobriety in tact. I think you are doing great! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Foolsgold they are thoughts its AV not the real you the real you made a post about it and didnt drink

Your seriously awesome

Well done on 6 months sober
Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Don't torture yourself with your own thoughts. The thoughts are just thoughts, and we have all struggled with this. Distraction is the best thing. Take a walk, clean out a drawer, write a poem, read a magazine article, come on here and read, go to the library. There are lots of ways to distract. Obsessive thinking about unhealthy things is - unhealthy. You can change your thoughts. Have you tried meditation or yoga? It helped me a lot.
I'm trying to keep busy. I know doing things will keep my mind sane but meditation and yoga is something I might have to look into - thank you.

You ever just feel alone in a room full of people? I'm so lucky to be where I am I feel ungrateful to feel like this.

Thoughts are just thoughts I know. I need to be positive!

Thank you all so much.

L x
Old 12-27-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

do you expect to live the rest of your life without a single thought of a drink coming into your head ?

its normal like somoene who thinks about having a cup of tea or someone who wants a cream cake
they think it would be nice to have a tea or bit of cake and they can take one

the only difference is i might think about a drink but then i dont dream about it i nip it in the bud with knowing dam well what just one drink would do for me
then i would go and have a nice cold drink of water or a can of coke or whatever and do smothing else
the thoughts vanish so long as i do other things

if i sit and think about them all day long then they will grow legs

so dont beat yourself up over having a thought about a drink
instead be happy that you thought about one but didnt go and get one that is what counts
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thoughts are just that - thoughts. Discard the negative ones.

Deep breathing can dispel thoughts; when negative thoughts apear, stop for a few minutes of deep breathing; concentrate only on your breathing.

You are doing beautifully, foolsgold.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the baby!
Don't feel guilty about thoughts, everyone has odd thoughts.
Take care xoxo
Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear what you are saying. I too struggled with watching normal people having normal drinks when all I wanted to do was chug them! my first xmas was tough, but I got through it, and so did you! just think, next year you will have your little one with you - what an amazing blessing.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It really means a lot.

L x