Notices

Alchohol withdrawal/ DT's

Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Alchohol withdrawal/ DT's

How long do they usually last?

I used to have managing it down to an art, though it usually meant managing them only until I could get to a drink.
Sometimes I had librium, if not though it would be a constant stream of tobacco, I would open up butts or anything. (urgh)

But seeing as I have gone most of this year without drink or drugs, I'm gonna have to ride this one out naturally.

I stopped drinking 4 days ago give or take a few hours. I guess then when I woke up I was till probably slightly drunk as I managed to write some positive comments elsewhere and send some messages. Then I proceeded to mainly sleep for 2 days, I didn't eat hardly anything. I managed to get up late Xmas night to give my housemate a gift, I had completely forgotten about it as Ive had it for weeks. I didn't receive anything but thats fine and has been the norm for a few years now. I'm not fixated on material objects anymore either, which is lucky enough as I broke a load of mine the other night.

So yesterday then I got up at a reasonable time and attempted to tidy up. Well I didn't manage much until I felt emotionally shattered, a bit the glass everywhere. I've been tending to my physical wounds also. So I tried going back to bed to rest, I just lay there for several hours in emotional turmoil, eventually I plated out a bit by trying to see the good in the situation and what I could take from, by resolving to carry on being positive and not to let the setback consume me, waxing philosophical almost.

So I got up yesterday evening and had my first meal (the christmas dinner). I struggled through it as was feeling wrecked both physically and emotionally, had a cup of tea and got to bed early. I have been having mad lucid dreams as well every night since, which is strange.

This morning then I am awake early, physically not too bad but been totally tearful all morning! I came on here and read some posts, I cant say that it helped much! There is so much I can relate to, from both males and females. I have neither the wit nor the will to respond, well I did try to form one twice but it sent me into a panic, I can see that everyone is getting a response which its comforting. It's also humbling to read.

Why do we do this to ourselves? About the only positive I can take right now is that, and what I can't believe either is that i used to wake up every day feeling like this! And then just, repeat the cycle again, yet totally unawares I was in the cycle. I guess living alone for a good many years didn't help. Man I have been facing up to the fact that whatever has happened, and even though because x because y because z, that still doesn't explain anything or offer a way forward, I'm not sure if this relapse is further reinforcing that, I am trying to do that but it would be so easy to feel sorry for myself with how I am feeling right now! But I dont.

So the question is... How long more should I expect these withdrawal symptoms for?

And is there anything I can do to ease my anxiety & suffering today, and probably for a few days more??

I really think I am going to open that big book I was given a few years ago when I do get over this feeling. Peace
Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Stevie,

Well done on four days my friend.

I think withdrawal is different for everyone, but I do know that it doesn't last forever, it settles down after a while.

Perhaps a visit to your doc might be helpful ?

Sounds to me like opening the Big Book would be a great idea right now , it would at least give you something to focus on.

Stay strong, you're doing great.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Janie.

I was sober before I drank the bottle of whiskey so its no major accomplishment but thanks anyway. Yeah I'm starting to feel a bit better now, but sad I guess.

Oh man well the doctors have given up on me. I was going to them a lot in my mid twenties, basically at breaking point as I had insomnia and couldn't sleep night after night, and I was drinking then, and then that was becoming a problem too. Basically I was going through a bad breakup and had a stressful job, I didn't have the support of my family either nor the tools to coupe with any of this.

So the doctor to be fair the offered me good advice, oh well you need to eat right and exercise, socialize more but it was gone beyond that. I still had to go home alone and cope, they wouldn't give me any tablets so I kept on drinking to numb the pain. I starting experimenting about with some drugs then to find some happiness and which I did! But I had already developed a massive drinking habit by then. Eventually I was coaxed into a mental facility, looking back now I was completely off my head with the combination of drink and drugs, some glimmers of hope but I didn't know how this nightmare was going to end as that is all I was trying to do for what had amounted to some years by then!

Anyways. Things improved in many ways after that. But the problems I had, the relationship difficulties unresolved issues etc didn't, so I was kept on drinking and eventually things came to a head in that I gave away all my money or was otherwise duped out of it, gave up my apartment (had been living alone for years) fell out with my mother (she made all her best efforts to make it happen that way) and needed up broke up, ****** up and nowhere to go! Well luckily I do now have the support of one family member who is not an inherently devious person as neither am I.

So to cut a long story short, bar for this relapse recently I have been doing better without any doctors and all that, and away from my totally unhelpful family and ex partner combo. The proof is in the fact that I have been able to get sober! And well as miserable as things might seem for me to others (no love lost, my destructive behavior extend across all media platforms and everywhere, which is unfortunately now harder forgot than real life) well what I have found is that wow, I actually feel a lot more normal and stable now and back toward my old self. The one who was well liked and had a future, once upon a time.

So anyway to cut a long story short. I've come to the conclusion that I am the one who has messed up my life over the past while, I don't see why there is any point in me thinking that others are going to put not right for me.

All that I needed was a break away from everyone and their scrutiny, judgements etc. Find myself or what have you. And not have to listen to my ex gf telling me I am useless or whatever. Who ever wanted to be used anyway?

Thanks for listening, someone has the hurries on me here now...
Old 12-27-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, SteveyEire.

Withdrawals are different for everyone with one commonality - things get better with time. If you are experiencing severe symptoms such as seizures, a trip to the ER would be a good idea.

SR is here for you, SteveyEire - 24/7/365. Look forward to seeing you around the threads
Old 12-27-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had mild shakes, sweats and some sketchy sleep 2 nites. I did not have DT's. Most people don't. As for why we get back in bed with alcohol? Well, that is why we have this site and billions annually spent to try and figure that one out. In the mean time not drinking seems to be working for the majority of us. Glad you're back.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post

Withdrawals are different for everyone with one commonality - things get better with time. If you are experiencing severe symptoms such as seizures, a trip to the ER would be a good idea.

SR is here for you, SteveyEire - 24/7/365. Look forward to seeing you around the threads
Thanks Leigh, kind words. Thankfully I have never had seizures from it

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
I had mild shakes, sweats and some sketchy sleep 2 nites. I did not have DT's. Most people don't. As for why we get back in bed with alcohol? Well, that is why we have this site and billions annually spent to try and figure that one out. In the mean time not drinking seems to be working for the majority of us. Glad you're back.
Not drinking seems to be the obvious solution. Well maybe not quite DT's per se, but mad anxiety, the shakes and an overall impending sense of doom & gloom to wit. Though if I hadn't have slept those 2 days, I would not like to have seen myself. Body took the best option perhaps. Anyway, starting to feel better now I suppose, making up for the missing food today.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post

This