Notices

I'm struggling right now

Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm struggling right now

Im on day 9. I was out earlier for cigs and almost grabbed a 6 pack. Sat in the parking lot and finished my smoke and decided to just go home. Now I am thinking about drinking all day. I keep going back and forth in my head.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your making great progress, don't give in now!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Distraction was my friend in the first few weeks.

Plan to do something that will eat up a few hours, whether it's a film, a box set, a video game, whatever it is, get something non alcoholic in your hand, and eat up a few hours doing something, even if it's going out for a walk for an hour.

Sitting in with my own thoughts, used to drive me crazy, I needed to do something, housework, reorder old bank statements, anything to take your mind off alcohol!!

You can do this!!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And you posted so GREAT JOB! Like a 6 pack wouldve done anything anyway! So, let's make a new plan for the day! Of course you will check in here alot ...so..besides what are you planning to do? Are you going to meetings?

Glad you posted instead of drinking
Old 12-26-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Pass try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

& this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got some paperwork to do but im having a hard time focusing on it. Thanks for talking to me. So far I havent drank yet. Im planning a trip to las vegas this week. So I got to get ready for that. Vegas should be interesting. Im playing in some poker tournament.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

You're doing so great, you posted instead of drinking, that's a real solid desire to succeed you got there.

Echoing the above advice here, the worse thing you can do is just sit there and think about it . Eat, my friend, eat. Drinks lots of water too. Play games. Walk. Post here. Watch a stupid movie. An AA meeting will give you something to do, too.

It gets easier, you just have to ride it out for now.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alright im just going to focus hard on this paperwork I got and hopefully feel better when im finished. Eating is actually a good idea because I know it will be hard to get drunk if my belly is full.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great work on 9 days and the courage and humility to reach out! See if you can quiet the voice in your head by totally committing to remaining alcohol free today.

Take that off the table.

Then as others have suggested try to limit your down time and find some fun, positive things to do.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day nine is great. You will have these days with temption. It is uncomfortable. If you want to quit drinking you have to accept the fact that thete will be discomfort at times. Power through it. distract yourself with something that doesn't take a lot of thought. I did a lot of cleaning early on. Washing dishes, dusting. Folding laundry. Make sure you eat something and aren't hungry. Hang in there. You can do it.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have to go to Vegas this week?
Old 12-26-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great suggestions here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 12-26-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by passmeabeer View Post
Now I am thinking about drinking all day. I keep going back and forth in my head.
They are just thoughts. Aggravating, frustrating, obsessive...but just thoughts. Stay strong.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

9 days is a great accomplishment. Don't be afraid to keep the momentum going!!
Old 12-26-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

when i think about where a drink will take me its no contest, wet beds, police cells, telling people what i really think about them then being sorry for it all the next day

the list is endless for me for what can happen to me should i pick up a drink, i am lucky that i am in aa and i go to there meetings a lot as i keep getting reminded just what that drink does to me from others in the meetings

i see new comers come in shaking from withdrawals something that i can never picture in my mind unless i see it in others it takes me back to how it was for me

hence i keep on going back to aa rather than stay on my own with my own head as i just can not remember the harm that the drink does to me when on my own

its been almost 11 years for me since i last had a drink and i still need to be reminded just how bad it gets

if not then my head will make drink look like a good thing for me to do, as its always done in the past
Old 12-26-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I messed up. I feel guilty. You all been so supportive and open. I got drunk but I havent given up and I appreciate everybody responding to me. Im sure I will give it another try and be successful again because I really dont want the withdrawal. I got it bad with the dts and all. I pretty much got past that. But tonight I might as well go all in... dammit... was having fun then I checked this and now I feel disappointed in myself.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey, passmeabeer, please pour out what is left and call it a night. No need to go all in.

Drink plenty of water and head off to sleep. You can turn this train around and get back on the right track.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I messed up. I feel guilty. You all been so supportive and open. I got drunk but I havent given up and I appreciate everybody responding to me. Im sure I will give it another try and be successful again because I really dont want the withdrawal. I got it bad with the dts and all. I pretty much got past that. But tonight I might as well go all in... dammit... was having fun then I checked this and now I feel disappointed in myself.
Make a decisive statement of intent and pour out what's left and get some rest.

Tomorrow - start working on a plan...cos whatever you've been doing for your recovery let you down badly today, pass - you need more.

D
Old 12-26-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dump the rest. You don't have to go "all in". Go to bed and get some rest and start over tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was worried bout this. Before I asked you about Vegas...I started a response a number of different times but I had to delete and they all sounded rather dooming.

In the end, I just asked the Vegas question not only because I had concerns bout a trip to sin city in early sobriety... but I was hoping it would get you talking...get you to keep talking...to take your mind off the mind hijacking that I feared was occuring...

You did'nt keep talking