SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   That used to be me. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/354525-used-me.html)

Tetra 12-25-2014 05:46 PM

That used to be me.

Happy Christmas guys!

Well, I had a nice Christmas.

I arrived home on Christmas Eve. My mom, Dad, brother and I were chatting at the kitchen table. I made some remark that I have work on January 2nd, and my mom said "great! I'm glad you are acting like a normal person". See, it's little remarks that really get on my nerves, and I could see my brother's eyebrows shoot up, but I just ignored it and carried on talking. Everytime my mom started with her comments, I just raised my hand and said "I don't want to hear it at Christmas" and she actually shut up! Even my dad said he is proud at the way I am learning to deal with her.

And we did have a nice day. I got some lovely gifts...gloves, perfume and a camera, because I am thinking of taking up photography as a hobby in the New Year.

I felt bad for my aunt though. She kind of has a drinking problem too, but if she is as bad as I was, I don't know. She left the room at around 6 pm and didn't return. It turns out she had gone to bed. What a way to spend Christmas night...in bed. I said to my brother that I didn't think she had that much to drink. My brother replied "oh she did. She slyly topped up her glass at the table, without people noticing, and I know she had a few sly ones in the kitchen, when I walked through to put dishes in the dishwasher". I felt really bad for her. I have been there, and she missed the best part of the evening - our family card game. If I had been drinking, I would have missed out on all the fun.

The next thing is the wedding on New Year's Eve. My brother seems a bit stressed. We were up late talking last night and he said to me ""what will I do if there is some tension between family members at the wedding"? So I said "don't worry bro, I'll make sure nobody spoils your big day". At this point he burst out laughing and said "MY big day?!! MY big day my ******* ass"!!! Says it all really...

I am very happy that I am not drinking. And Happy Christmas to all of you xx

Buggirl 12-25-2014 05:55 PM

Well done you! Hope things get better, sounds like you are going through it. Also feel sorry for your aunt. Well done you for staying sober! Merry Xmas!

Nowsthetime 12-25-2014 05:55 PM

Hola Tetra:

I love hearing this from you. You have come a long way and I am proud of you. Our mom's are something hard to deal with... I feel ya sistah!

Good job and keep up the good work. It will be even better tomorrow when you wake up and feel great!

Anna 12-25-2014 06:01 PM

Tetra, I'm glad you had a good Christmas and that you are learning to stand up for yourself.

Soberwolf 12-25-2014 06:01 PM

Way to go Tetra sorry about your mums 'comments'

I think your amazing merry christmas/boxing day

PurpleKnight 12-25-2014 06:01 PM

Happy Christmas Tetra!! :)

Tetra 12-25-2014 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all very much :)

Cisco was surprisingly relaxed during our loud card game :) there may have been a small amount of money involved...we were playing best out of 3 games, but it went on for a long time, and nobody won yet..second half is planned for tomorrow, when we go over to eat the leftovers. My aunts are surprisingly competitive :)

JanieJ 12-26-2014 02:55 AM

Glad you had a good time, Tetra.

Happy for you :grouphug:

Hawkeye13 12-26-2014 05:22 AM

Sounds like you are changing your role in the family--
I'm glad you had a good Christmas and I hope the wedding goes very well too.

Be careful about catching the bouquet ;)

How was "The Hobbit" by the way . . .

Gilmer 12-26-2014 06:49 AM

The happiest of holidays, Tetra. Keep politely shutting your mother down, and hopefully she'll change the way she interacts with you.

hayley86 12-26-2014 06:58 AM

Glad you had a nice Christmas. Best wishes! :)