SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm hiding from my brother in law (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/354454-im-hiding-my-brother-law.html)

Briar 12-24-2014 05:52 PM

I'm hiding from my brother in law

who is chasing me around with a bottle of wine insisting I have some. I should be present at my own party, but I'm hiding in my office typing this instead. Sober life.

SoberLeigh 12-24-2014 05:55 PM

I am so proud of you, Briar.

I must admit that the thought of you hiding out from your BIL is rather funny.

Shhhh - I think I hear him coming.

Merry Christmas.

PurpleKnight 12-24-2014 05:55 PM

Time to take your brother aside and tell him assertively, you're not having any wine, it's your choice and he needs to respect that!!

It drives me insane how people when it comes to alcohol can disrespect others, try to force them to drink against a person's will and choice not to.

Hang in there Briar, YOU make the decisions in all of this!!

Gonnachange 12-24-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Purpleknight (Post 5095207)
Time to take your brother aside and tell him assertively, you're not having any wine, it's your choice and he needs to respect that!!

It drives me insane how people when it comes to alcohol can disrespect others, try to force them to drink against a person's will and choice not to.

Hang in there Briar, YOU make the decisions in all of this!!

Agreed!

lulukat 12-24-2014 06:11 PM

Get a cup/glass fill with something and tell him you're fine--- Go enjoy your own party. You get to see how silly and annoying his actions are. ...And you can come back and we'll chuckle about him with you.

SoberLeigh 12-24-2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by lulukat (Post 5095234)
Get a cup/glass fill with something and tell him you're fine--- Go enjoy your own party. You get to see how silly and annoying his actions are. ...And you can come back and we'll chuckle about him with you.

Great idea.

Briar 12-24-2014 06:18 PM

Thanks guys! I think soon enough he'll be too drunk to realize I'm not drinking, and the problem will solve itself. It feels good to not be like that guy this year. :)

And I'd like to say this is a tasty mix: sparkling cider, orange flavored seltzer, and a lemon wedge.

Rina 12-24-2014 06:19 PM

I agree with lulu. Carry around a glass of something non-alcoholic and be firm. He will end up looking like a putz if he continues in on you. This is about your health. Your family should understand that perspective.

SoberLeigh 12-24-2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 5095245)
Thanks guys! I think soon enough he'll be too drunk to realize I'm not drinking, and the problem will solve itself. It feels good to not be like that guy this year. :)

And I'd like to say this is a tasty mix: sparkling cider, orange flavored seltzer, and a lemon wedge.

That does sound delicious, Briar, refreshing, too.

Proud of you, Briar.

Briar 12-24-2014 07:38 PM

Okay, they drank all the wine, I'm safe now. You guys are right, I should be upfront with him (and everybody else), but I'm reluctant to start that conversation. I'm afraid of where it will go.

Dee74 12-24-2014 07:47 PM

A full glass of whatever ye likes, and 'no thanks'.

No need for any explanations, Briar :)

D

Briar 12-24-2014 08:01 PM

Oh man, this feels so foreign. I'm so used to drinking with this group. Like something so familiar is so different. Sobriety kind of feels like an awkward new guest.

Dee74 12-24-2014 08:09 PM

Trust me, everyone feels this way at first Briar.

Don't let your AV get any traction.

D

Inchworm 12-24-2014 08:14 PM

It DOES feel rather awkward, doesn't it. Being sober on Christmas will take some practice, I guess. I'm glad we have each other:)

Ruby2 12-24-2014 08:56 PM

It takes practice but you can do it. And the discussion with family can wait until they are not intoxicated, if you choose to have it. I'm glad you're hanging firm there.

Conquest 12-24-2014 09:09 PM

Stay strong, girl! (It does make for a funny image though...tip toeing behind potted plants and peering around corners...)

I got the "but it's our traditional drink" a few times tonight. I just kept smiling and walked the other way like I didn't hear. We can do this, Hun!

SoberComposer 12-24-2014 09:17 PM

I had an experience like this when my Uncles came to town. It was very odd to be the sober one but I felt so good when it was over. I am so happy for you Briar!! This is how we quit :):)

I love Dee's advice.. no need for explanations. I have always had problems with that but it just creates more problems.

Briar 12-24-2014 09:36 PM

I did it. They are gone, our daughter is in bed, and we are getting ready to put out the santa gifts and stuff the stocking. And I am sober.

Thank you all for being with me tonight. I don't know where I'd be without you.

Briar 12-24-2014 09:39 PM

Conquest - I totally did a few slick Mission Impossible moves to avoid him! :) And in heels no less!

VikingGF 12-24-2014 09:40 PM

Good for you, Briar! Feels darn good, doesn't it? Love going to bed sober.

Have a great Christmas morning!