Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awesome Work!! I bet you feel Great
Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
Awesome Work!! I bet you feel Great
I do, I'm really pleased with the choices I made tonight.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Briar I'm glad you and your sobriety won and I'm proud of you for that but really, your b-i-l needs to be told in no uncertain terms. If he is in your home he needs to be there on your terms and that does not include chasing you around with a wine bottle. I'd find a time -- after Christmas -- to lay a few ground rules with him, the first being that when you say "no thank you" that's what you mean. There is no need to open "the" conversation with him or anyone else, "no thank you" is enough.

Good on you!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Briar you done good mate well done
Old 12-25-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I did it. They are gone, our daughter is in bed, and we are getting ready to put out the santa gifts and stuff the stocking. And I am sober.

Thank you all for being with me tonight. I don't know where I'd be without you.

You are a gift to SR, Briar.

Your story of strength last night was inspirational.

Have a wonderful Christmas Day.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Conquest - I totally did a few slick Mission Impossible moves to avoid him! And in heels no less!
Just remember....Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in heels! Congratulations
Old 12-25-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have noticed and experienced that also with both alcohol and smoking. I quit both, and instead of people encouraging me with quitting, they have to let me know every time they go smoke. I'm sorry your going through it.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I hid in my room from my family all day. This morning I went to the cupboard to get a cup for coffee. There it was....a half empty cup of wine! Not mine!
Congratulations to you....!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Briar I'm glad you and your sobriety won and I'm proud of you for that but really, your b-i-l needs to be told in no uncertain terms. If he is in your home he needs to be there on your terms and that does not include chasing you around with a wine bottle. I'd find a time -- after Christmas -- to lay a few ground rules with him, the first being that when you say "no thank you" that's what you mean. There is no need to open "the" conversation with him or anyone else, "no thank you" is enough.

Good on you!
I never had much luck reasoning with the drunks that were trying to insist I couldn't have fun without a drink. They seem to be afraid someone might actually have a good time without drinking and that would challenge their reasoning for drinking so much.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas briar - waking up sober is your gift to yourself
Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

CHASE HIM WITH A NUTCRACKER!!!

Bunnez
Old 12-25-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Bunnez, that "cracked" me up!
Old 12-25-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good job Briar! Glad you could find some humor in it. I'm dreading today as my BIL will likely do the same. Granted, we don't see each other often, but each time we do he offers me a drink. It'll be two years in a month! I can't figure out if he's being obtuse, just being passive aggressive or that forgetful due to his ADD. I'm betting on the first two after his remark to me the other night to "say or do something, so I can tell you how wrong you are, hahahah".
Old 12-25-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You were awesome, Briar! Thank you for sharing and showing it can be done. And your drink sounds great--I'm going to try it. Cheers to many more sober Christmases for all of us! May we all survive--or hopefully -- learn to THRIVE -- being sober and present during the holidays and always! hugs
Old 12-25-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Originally Posted by 2blackkittehs View Post
Good job Briar! Glad you could find some humor in it. I'm dreading today as my BIL will likely do the same. Granted, we don't see each other often, but each time we do he offers me a drink. It'll be two years in a month! I can't figure out if he's being obtuse, just being passive aggressive or that forgetful due to his ADD. I'm betting on the first two after his remark to me the other night to "say or do something, so I can tell you how wrong you are, hahahah".
Oh, charming. I have a friend who says stuff like that, and he's a big drinker too. Really annoying.

My husband's family doesn't drink much usually, so my BIL and I were drinking buddies. I think he's uncomfortable being the only big drinker. It's normalizing to have a partner in crime, right? Who knows, maybe my sobriety will encourage him to get his act together too. I don't know, I have to just focus on myself right now.

Thanks for all the kind words!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
CHASE HIM WITH A NUTCRACKER!!!

Bunnez
I was thinking more along the lines of slipping some laxatives in his drink.

Well done Briar
Old 12-25-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good for you Briar. I have the same issue with my Bro in Law. Fortunately, (although we did miss him) he did not attend our christmas eve party last night and i was only offered a drink once. Stay strong!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Recently someone said to me 'I don't trust people who don't drink' Oh the very irony of that statement! Only reason your crazy brother in law 'needs' you to drink is for his own needs. Imagine chasing a vegetarian around with a piece of bacon. Good for you, stay strong :-)
Old 12-25-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I dunno...why don't you pull up some "curling" on your tablet or something and insist he watch it. Chase him around with it...and say here, here, watch it..it's really important to me you do. I don't care how you feel...but I would be a lot more comfortable if you watched this guy throw rocks down the ice. Just say "come on be a sport, watch this winter sport on this holiest of days. I think Jesus would".
Old 12-25-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Curling!! The ultimate torture to watch.... every time I see a broom and a tea kettle near each other I wince. WHY is that a sport?!?!?!