Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

hi there. I'm newly sober and have some general health questions

Notices

Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi I'm new here and this is my first post. i quit drinking nov 20th and i am happy that i did. its positive and i don't question that...nor am i scared of immediately relapsing (this second anyway). I'm 38 and i have been a heavy drinker for probably 18 years. i have tried quitting before but never got this far.

i am determined now and with the help of AA I am doing well. but heres the thing.

i quit and detoxxed (it was not easy) but i hurt my back last week and was in bed for 3 days. then within two days of that i got really sick with strep throat and I'm back in bed for 4 days. today is german christmas and i am stuck in bed alone sick.

I've never been this sick or fragile feeling in my life. i thought quitting drinking would make me feel awesome but i feel kinda like "this is what i get?" is this common? does sobriety ruin my immune system? is it true alcohol keeps you healthy or was i just to drunk to notice? someone else must understand.

the second part is in regards to anxiety. i suffer from anxiety when I'm overtired, sometimes when I'm about to eat i get panicky, sometimes social situations...not all the time but mostly because I'm overtired. at night my mind starts racing and i can't fall asleep. i used to drink til i slept almost every night for a long time. does the anxiety go away eventually?

if anyone has any similar experiences i would love to hear it. thanks.

merry christmas eve to everyone and I'm glad to be on this board.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence that these things happened as you gave up drinking, and most likely would have occurred if you had not. Alcohol certainly does not keep us healthy.

As for the anxiety, it will lessen, it takes some time for your body to return to "normal" after many years of drinking. Try and get plenty of sleep in the next few weeks, eat right and always consult with a doctor with any medical concerns.

Good for you on 4 days, and welcome to SR!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm fairly certain studies indicate alcohol comprises our immune system.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for both your responses! and just to be clear Viking i am sober 34 days
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry!!!! I read December, not November- my sincere apologies!!

Good for you on 34 days, that's awesome!

Feel better soon!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to 2015 as a sober man. Better late than never.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome puzzledpanther, SR is a great place to find support. We're all in this together.

As far as the anxiety, I also suffer from it so you're not alone. I think it comes from the cessation of alcohol and yes I've read it does fade over time (although in still struggling with it).
Old 12-24-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks plure! thats good to hear. the anxiety is really the one thing that scares me the most. knowing it will wane gives me hope.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I see you're in Berlin, so I don't know whats available there.
I'm not a doctor, just an athlete.
Anything you do that is out of routine will effect your body's immune. Either it be a stressful day at work, a heavy workout, lack of sleep or yes quitting drinking. It all shock to your body and your body doesn't like it.

What worked for me...
A good multivitamin every day, lots of water, to boost your immune I use ColdFx. (I'm sure its not avail in Berlin) I think if you stick with ginseng you'll be ok.
For sleeping, that was my main problem when I quit. Find a herbal sleep aid with Valerian in it.

For the anxiety. I had this in my previous attempts to quit as well. Use that herbal sleep aid but half dose. Won't put you to sleep, just calms you.

Hope this helps.
Shooter.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, to follow up with that. Avoid the medicinal sleep aids. All of us are on the site because we had trouble kicking a habit. You don't need another. Chemical sleep aids are addictive.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. That is all great information. Yeah and you are right I do not want a new addiction. I feel if I am going to be sober I am going to be truly sober. I mean 18 years I drank and did drugs. I had a good run. How about the next 18 I switch it up? I want to see what else is out there for me.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by puzzledpanther View Post
is it true alcohol keeps you healthy or was i just to drunk to notice? someone else must understand.

the second part is in regards to anxiety. i suffer from anxiety when I'm overtired, sometimes when I'm about to eat i get panicky, sometimes social situations...not all the time but mostly because I'm overtired. at night my mind starts racing and i can't fall asleep. i used to drink til i slept almost every night for a long time. does the anxiety go away eventually?

if anyone has any similar experiences i would love to hear it. thanks.

merry christmas eve to everyone and I'm glad to be on this board.
Glad you're here, Welcome!
NO, it's not true........ I drank when I was sick and suppose didn't feel it as much/passed out - but there's no anecdotal medical opinions that booze helps us improve our immune system.

I had to find a way to shut my brain down.......just needed it to shut up so I could sleep. For me, prayer - meditation / turnoff the TV when trying to go to sleep - listen to soft music or read a book. Those things helped, but it simply takes time.

Sorry you in bed today ......In a short time you'll be much better and sober!!

frohe weihnachten

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-24-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have less time in sobriety than you (I'm at 24 days), and my anxiety has diminished greatly from my drinking days. However, my anxiety is not totally eliminated. I still struggle now and then, but not to the levels as to when I was drinking. I resigned myself to the fact, that I need to work on the residual anxiety stuff, and expect to have a panic attack every now and then. I can live with that.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah my one buddy said joining a gym is a good idea as well. I never have done that but I might look into it.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, puzzledpanther, to SR.

Hope you feel better soon. Sorry that early sobriety has been so rough; it takes time for our minds and bodies to heal from the onslaught of abuse to which we subjected them; it takes time. I remember about two months realizing that I did feel better but, even then, I had forgotten what feeling truly well was like. It was over six months before I fully realized the physical benefits of healing and sobriety. The emotional and psychological benefits took even longer.

Our bodies heal with abstinence; our minds and hearts heal with the 'work' of recovery.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It took a few months for me to feel anyway human again, it took years to drink ourselves into this situation and so it's going to take more than a a few weeks for the body to heal and repair.

Hang in there!!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks! all those words mean a lot. Wow I can't even imagine 6 months right now. but...one day at a time.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 12-24-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's all normal. Just remember, every day sober is a day where you feel better than yesterday. Most of it should go away or at least significantly improve. Of course alcohol makes everything worse. I knew drinking was causing me harm, but I had no idea just how much until I quit for some time.

My anxiety/insomnia has been significantly better when sober. After a setback last week some of it is back but every night gets a little better.

My recommendation for insomnia is to make sure you have something to do to keep yourself busy all those hours. Books, movies, TV show marathons, etc. Netflix streaming is a great help.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome puzzledpanther! It's great to have you join the family.

Congrats on your sober time. I don't think your feelings are unusual at all. I felt 'off' for a couple of months - fragile & apprehensive sometimes, and almost like I had the flu too. All the strange feelings went away over time. Our bodies have a huge adjustment to make.