Notices

When you stopped drinking how long till you felt better?

Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Took a few months before I got my spring back in my step!!

Hang in there!! It gets better!!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, today was hard as damily Christmas. I was prety anty social and stayed away from thefamily. I was feeling like I was hungover and yuk even though its been a month....plus was anxiiys about the occasion and everyone was drinking....naturopath sais its a "healing crisis". Worth goggling its spot on what im going through...anxiety dizzy spacy hard to explain brain fog feeling that comes and goes. She said its all the toxins from the alcohol releasing into my system from fat etc. Ive lost 8 kg so had to go somewhere. ?..just want this over and my happy relaxed self back....day 31 today and still sober. Merry Christmas and love to you all makes me feel less alone....
Old 12-25-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 31
Old 12-25-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Things that have helped me greatly and I felt better within a month.
1. Stay hydrated. Pedialyte or kids electrolyte drink- I drank one a day. It helps replace all the electrolytes that alcohol seriously depletes.
2. Fresh veggies- had at least 3-5 servings a day but start slow if you arent use to eating them as they might cause stomach gas if you eat a lot of raw ones and you arent use to it.
3. Lean meats- chicken, fish, lean ground beef or ground turkey- and stay away from fried, fatty, and red meats. Of course you can have a steak just limit it to once a week or so.
4. Vitamins- one a day men's or just a simple vit b complex. Helps restore vitamin balances that alcohol screws with.
5. Deep breathing and light yoga. Helps you relax.
6. Less tv at night and more reading a book (a paper book not an e book). That just helps with sleep overall.
7. Talk a walk when you feel stressed- FRESH AIR. Do not lock yourself away inside.

I hope you find some of those help you. Goodluck its a war,not a one day battle. Win most the battles win the war.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ph7

Its good for me for this question to be brought up from time to time.
After getting over the first couple of days up to a couple of weeks all was going well, my new found sobriety was exciting. After this bouts of depression and fatigue were common and being sober was a real struggle.
Im 20 weeks in now and was struggling the last couple of weeks mainly due to the time of year and it being a bit unfair.
The earlier comments around memory loss stood true with me but they now don't seem as apparent (Thanks for the reminder of my previous condition there, lol).
I also binged on sugary drinks to help me through the early withdrawals and I eat a lot of chocolate now but have sugar free fizzy drinks instead (worried around diabeties).

What I do understand after 4 1/2 months is theres still a way to go before I have some kind of real normal again although looking back now after reading this post has made me realise I have made more progress than I thought.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It took me a full 8 to 9 months before feeling free of alcohol and the strong grip that it had on me. People say that I look healthy, slim and that I have good skin now, all down to sobriety.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It took me about 5 months to feel normal (good) physically - improving all the way along of course. But even now I'm still seeing improvements in regular sleep, early rising, thought clarity, peace of mind, etc. I was impatient in the beginning, and spent a lot of time wondering if feeling a bit off and sleeping horribly was normal, and if not drinking was worth it, etc. Yep totally normal and definitely worth it. It makes a big difference to treat your body well - exercise, vitamins, good food, sleep. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks, im feeling better yesterday and today much better than Christmas day. Its been a test of my patience. And as SonomaGal puts its perfectly, "I spent a lot of time wondering if feeling a but off was normal". Thats me exactly. Natural doctors refer to this as a healing crisis, when we quit all the toxins dump from our cells into our blood stream. This is a great forum!