Notices

What Do You Do When Your Sponsor Relapses?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Do You Do When Your Sponsor Relapses?

I have the best sponsor ever. It took me years to find the right one. She is wonderful. She gave me so much experience, strength and hope that I am now 22months sober. Twenty two months today. On the 22nd. And 22 is my favorite number! But I digress...

I found out this wonderful sponsor who along the way became my wonderful friend, has started to drink again. My heart is sick for her. I am holding out hope she will snap out of it fast.

But my heart is also sick because I have grown accustomed to her unwavering support and her friendship. Because I have become very fond of her, she's like a sister to me now. I know my sobriety is my responsibility alone, not hers. But I selfishly want my friend and sponsor. I'm in my home state for the holidays right now, and I've relapsed here several times. Last year was the first time I stayed sober the whole trip. I feel a bit like the rug has been pulled out from under me
(Selfish, I know..).

I'm gonna stay sober because it's the right thing for me. I'm gonna pray for my friend. I'm going to help others if the opportunity arises. I'm going to take the help that's been offered to me. Did I mention I'm going to pray for my friend??

Thanks for letting me get the stream of consciousness out...
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

I will pray for your friend, too, wehav.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she pulls herself out of it soon for both of you; maybe this is an opportunity for you to repay the favour. Not sponsorship maybe, but you can be there for her?

I just shared this with my November peeps, but will repost here.

Compassion exercise

Honesty with yourself leads to compassion for others.
Objective: To increase the amount of compassion in the world.

Expected Result: A personal sense of peace.

Instructions
This exercise can be done anywhere that people congregate (airports, malls, parks, beaches, etc.). It should be done on strangers, unobtrusively, from some distance. Try to do all five steps on the same person.

Step 1 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is seeking some happiness for his/her life.”

Step 2 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life.”

Step 3 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness, and despair.”

Step 4 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is seeking to fulfill his/her needs.”

Step 5 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is learning about life.”

Variation:
1. To be done by couples and family members to increase understanding of each other.

2. To be done on old enemies and antagonists still present in your memories.

3. To be done on other life forms.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That would be a big blow to anybody. I guess it just goes to show how close we all are to picking back up. I hope you are doing okay.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Give yourself over to the Higher power and ask for help for her and you
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

That's it! Pray for your friend - now, they need you more than ever. Good for you to recognize it.

A sponsor doesn't keep us sober or make us drink. We do that.
The friendship is important for sure but ultimately it's our choice as you already know.

22 months is amazing! Jealousy guard it, stay sober and go to some meetings in your home state and share!

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my dear friend. Please believe that I truly believe in the program, in the steps, and everything it brings. I have grown and flourished so much in the past few years, and as part of my recovery I found you. You have been such a delight to work with and to become friends with. As far as I am concerned we are no longer sponsor/sponsee, we help each other through the tough times. Friends forever.

My relapse is nothing to do with you, my sponsor or the program. It is me, and the depression that has become so hard to see beyond. It was like trying to walk through treacle. My sponsor has walked away, but I've spent the evening talking to another old timer.

Starting tomorrow, I'm back on track. I have reverted to old ingrained habits that I want no part of.

Wehav, I'm sorry to let you down tonight, but I'm always there for you my friend. Always. If you want another sponsor, I would totally understand.,but friends forever ok? Xx
Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will never walk away from you, Jeni26!!

You haven't let me down, it's such a relief to see you here. Let us give you strength until you have your own. I tried, but sometimes we need more right? So take it. Lots of people care about you here.

Thank you so much for the care, everybody.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got a sponsor recently, first time. He likes to say to me 'Don't panic'. I listen.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Wehav2day, 22 months is just so FANTASTIC, congratulations. Yes indeed Jeni, lots of people care about you here. Please don't be discouraged that your AA sponsor has walked away from you and I doubt anyone here will do it. Rootin for everyone.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That's really unfortunate. I would have a hard time with that too. I think the way you're reacting is the best thing you can do.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, that's touching

Hope you get back on track Jeni.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow

This is really touching.

I hope you find your way Jeni
Praying you do

Jennifer
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TopEndChick View Post
I got a sponsor recently, first time. He likes to say to me 'Don't panic'. I listen.
This is so good, and so apt! You guys will weather this, and be wiser and better for it.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi.
I’m sorry for your hard hitting experience.

First you can show her that she gave you good guidance by NOT drinking yourself, after all this is the bottom line with recovery. You can now be a support for her in her dark days, this is the way the fellowship works, it can also be a remember when for both of you.

I don’t see any reason you can’t continue to be close friends unless it becomes toxic. Try to remember drinking is natural to alcoholics so perhaps you can continue going to meetings together. The good advice she gave you is still there it’s the application that sometimes messes us up.

STAND STRONG AND BE WELL
Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

((((Hugs)))) Is all I can say right now.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Strength to you both. It's obvious you have each others' backs.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hugs to both of you