Notices

The secret to sobriety is this...

Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The secret to sobriety is - don't pick up the 1st drink. And I do that via a very easily understood, non-denominational, non-religious doctrine (the AA Big Book) and higher power, which I simply choose to call "God". "KISS" is what works for me right now. Merry Christmas all !!!!

P.S. - and agree with Bunnez too btw ^^^^^^
Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

X

Last edited by erin8; 12-22-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: nvm
Old 12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Threads in this forum can often be peoples first experience of SR.

If you don't like the post, consider ignoring the thread.
If your ignore function is broken - please use ours

If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
Dee
SR
Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I used - and still do - simply 'help me' and 'thank you'.

Jesus by most accounts seems like he was a very cool cat. But for me, it's not Jesus doing the helping. He was dialed in to that same universal power.

I experienced the help when I began asking for it.

We see it somewhat differently in the details, but I absolutely agree with you about the importance of being willing to believe that a power greater than ourselves could help.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I tend to be quite fascinated with people's spiritual experiences and "finding" the spiritual connection that clicks and works. I've done my fare share of searching in these areas myself, mostly out of curiosity when I was much younger, so not sobriety oriented. I consider myself a pretty open-minded person and in terms of recovery approaches from alcoholism, I never felt any personal reservation or strong judgment towards any method, belief, preference, call it whatever -- I believe everything can be great if it helps, and we (humans) are a varied enough bunch, absolutely no surprise that we can use different methods (secrets?) with variable efficiency.

What I truly believe in is compatibility... Be it in the interpersonal world, or between a person and his/her spiritual (or any) leader or system of choice, recovery approach, and many other areas. In terms of connection and what can be sometimes almost "magically" helpful to me is making the right kind of connections with the right kind of other human beings, and then developing it... this is probably the area where I've experienced most near-spiritual kind of connections throughout my life quite a few times; usually I say I must have a pretty good intuitive sense for finding meaningful connections with specific people, and then taking the process to previously unimagined "dimensions". I guess in a way this is similar to the OP's meeting that neighbor who turned out to be a great influence. I don't typically try to explain such encounters to myself excessively. I feel that I have also been able to use this in the context of recovery, so definitely important component, but I don't consider this as a magic wand, just something that I happen to play quite well.

So no secrets here really. I definitely struggled with pretty bad cravings for alcohol in the beginning, and for longer than I wished... For me nothing truly resolved it but time and the efforts I could make to maintain my sobriety, but I'm good now. I also always think that we should respect the diversity and whatever works for whoever is using it.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Ooo have you seen Exodus?