Notices

body changes after quitting

Old 12-22-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

body changes after quitting

I would like to open this thread to share
how you saw ur bodies change
And time it took for it
I hope to make this a motivator and things to look forward to in this journey.

For me I have seen my weight come off very quickly , the puffiness on the face was gone in 3 days , stomach bloating was gone in 4 days... That was the direct evidence that the body was healing.
What about you ?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Improved sleep
More energy
Red face color reduced
BP Down
Morning vomiting gone
Bowel movement more "predictable" LOL!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oohhh - brilliant thread.
Only day 2 for me ... but can say that liver area doesn't feel quite as painful as it did 2 days ago ... and sorry for TMI - I'm drinking loads of water & running to the loo loads....so hopefully getting more hydrated.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got the light in my eyes back. Hungover it looked like nobody was home. Skin better, hair fuller. Just feeling better adds a nicer appearance
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1. I dont "hurt" as much... Just overall hurt, nothing in particular.
2. Does you mind count as your body? If so, just clearer.
3. Less stomach problems and gas.
3. Eyes are cleared ie no blood shot eyes.
4. Less baggage under my eyes- its still there but less.
5. Better balance.
6. Less shaky hands.
7. Less bloating and less of a beer gut.

And this is all after just two short weeks or so...
Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1. sleep is much better (wake up actually feeling rested)
2. eyes are clear and I can see better
3. stomach bloat is gone
4. skin is clearer
5. no more pain in my joints
6. the clear conscience I have with no regrets, remorse, or guilt caused by drinking makes my overall physical health improve tremendously.

Sobriety is soooo worth it!
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with all of the above
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Steady hands and clear eyes in the first two weeks or so.
I've enjoyed working out with weights for years (often hungover). Thought I had maxed out my potential, but around the second month started making big gains. It's a motivator for me because I can see and quantify the improvements.

I'm so glad the drunken years are GONE! Happy Holidays to you.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Defitnitely weight loss....in the first week I lost 3 lbs. I am now down 14lbs in total since I quit (I am eating better).
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To encourage those that don't lose weight right away...

I lost 3 pounds in the first week, and then have stayed at the same weight ever since. I just lost 3 pounds (abruptly) in this last week.

I do feel I immediately looked healthier, was less puffy and bloated, and - well - just more beautiful and animated.

My plan is to keep adding elements, building toward my best potential physical health.

I first quit drinking (129 days today), then smoking (day 75). I added consistent exercise, and keep refining my eating. In the first month, I allowed myself to eat whatever my body craved, including lots of sweets, but I keep getting incrementally more clean with my eating. My sleep patterns stabilized after a couple of months, which I know contributed to my face and eyes changing appearance.

The great thing is that sobriety reinforces all my health choices. In the past, I've done food or exercise commitments, but they always eventually dissolve in a sea of alcohol. Taking alcohol out of the picture first has allowed me to be uncompromising and consistent with every other element of my "getting healthy" project. Even with quitting smoking - I haven't had a single puff since the day I made the decision to quit.

I think that pride and confidence are attractive. While I know that my skin looks more radiant and my tummy is flatter, the main shift in my appearance is that I feel great about myself - it shows in the way I move my body, the way I navigate the world, and the way I relate to people. This confidence, and the ability to follow through with my healthy choices are the two great gifts of sobriety for me right now.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

same here, have lost a lot of weight 22lbs in almost a month being sober 25 days today. People say its too much too fast but I am a tall man 6,2 tall and I put on a lot of extra weight drinking that poison. The weight loss has virtually plateaued now but I am sure it will come down and stabilize where it needs to be. I want to work on my sobriety first.
*eyes are whiter and clearer
*I have more tolerance, I don't get irritated over the smallest thing anymore
*I have inner peace
*I sleep better
*I think clearer and make better decisions, I could go on and on...

This is the best thing I have ever done to myself. I don't want fail and go back to that old horrible me ever again. I have to stay strong and push ahead day by day..Stay strong SR family!!
*I love being alive and part of the the "normal" human race again

Last edited by sydneyman; 12-22-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went from around 250 lbs (up to 270 at one point!) down to 190 lbs, have gone back up to 205-210 (I was pretty skinny at 190). I hope my survival prospects have gone up, but you never know when Ol' Man Reaper is going to come knocking.

Skin is better. Less dry skin problems, better hydration. I don't stink (as much?) anymore.
Way better sleep without alcohol in my life.

Trying to build on success this year by getting back into weightlifting and running. I was up to 45 miles per week, hoping to get back to that and maybe a little more.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just hope I dont dip down below 145-150... I have always been skinny- and at my heaviest in my whole life (while drinking) I was 165. I am about 160ish now that I have stopped drinking...
Old 12-22-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After 3 months...

Ditto to all the above weight loss, better skin and eyes.

Also, being proud of my achievements has made me look healthier overall.

I still have 20 lbs to lose, but I will have to exercise to achieve this. All the easy weight has been lost.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My goodness all this weight loss and other wonderful things and here I go just getting fatter although I must say it's nice to look in the mirror and see a clear face and rested eyes gazing back at me.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Love this thread! I'm only 8 days in but was drinking a 12 pack every night (smoking the whole time)...so 8 days of no beer and no smokes! Eyes clearer, ache in right side gone, joint pain gone, skin issues around my nose totally gone, bloaty discomfort gone, neck pain gone, lower ab/back pain gone (not sure what was causing it, but I had pain like a hot coal front to back that would flare up the closer it got to drinking time every day), waking without feeling sick and ashamed and actually looking forward to henna-ing my hair and getting a cut! Not sure if I've lost weight, but I've cut back carbs in meals and am hoping that combined with the elimination of the billion carbs and calories I was having every night will kick start it. I plan to get back to working out when I'm over this flu bug. I haven't gone more than 3-4 days without binge drinking in years!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is an awesome thread. I think when I realized I needed to do something, I looked in the mirror and didn't even recognize myself. I was puffy, red, I had wrinkles (I drink when I smoke), it was horrible.

It might sound shallow, but I don't think there's anything wrong with vanity navigating your path to sobriety. I'm sure I'll have a few battle scars, but I'm looking forward to the body I'll have once I kick this, inside and out.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I notice I need to use less concealer under my eyes (and some days none at all!). My skin glows, eyes are brighter and I smile more. But those are just skin deep. I also have less pain in my body. My heartburn has virtually disappeared. I wake up in a great mood, fully rested. I never wake up with random bruises. My mind is more focused and I am more productive because of it.

I could honestly go on and on but I honestly feel great.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh and as for weight loss, I was kind of a "drunkorexic" because I've always watched my weight and often just drank my meals. I actually get to eat more now because I don't waste hundreds or thousands of calories on alcohol.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have put on a few pounds due to my appetite returning with a vengeance, I am not really overweight so thats ok. The best change is that my eyes are clear and alive. Stomach bloat is gone. There are the big two. Eyebags are there given disrupted sleep and skin is better than before but still a way to go.
Had a big lift over xmas when everyone said I look better than I have done in years.