Notices

body changes after quitting

Old 12-28-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
Oh and as for weight loss, I was kind of a "drunkorexic" because I've always watched my weight and often just drank my meals. I actually get to eat more now because I don't waste hundreds or thousands of calories on alcohol.
Same here. Don't you think it feels really decadent to actually eat meals now? Or have things like cake or pizza?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I lost weight, people told me my "color" was better, my blood glucose went down. I just felt better overall. Still do.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just feeling free to eat regular meals is pretty great. I'm not a sweets person really but I had some fried chicken and waffle fries today. I would never ever eat that while drinking.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
To encourage those that don't lose weight right away...

I lost 3 pounds in the first week, and then have stayed at the same weight ever since. I just lost 3 pounds (abruptly) in this last week.

I do feel I immediately looked healthier, was less puffy and bloated, and - well - just more beautiful and animated.

My plan is to keep adding elements, building toward my best potential physical health.

I first quit drinking (129 days today), then smoking (day 75). I added consistent exercise, and keep refining my eating. In the first month, I allowed myself to eat whatever my body craved, including lots of sweets, but I keep getting incrementally more clean with my eating. My sleep patterns stabilized after a couple of months, which I know contributed to my face and eyes changing appearance.

The great thing is that sobriety reinforces all my health choices. In the past, I've done food or exercise commitments, but they always eventually dissolve in a sea of alcohol. Taking alcohol out of the picture first has allowed me to be uncompromising and consistent with every other element of my "getting healthy" project. Even with quitting smoking - I haven't had a single puff since the day I made the decision to quit.

I think that pride and confidence are attractive. While I know that my skin looks more radiant and my tummy is flatter, the main shift in my appearance is that I feel great about myself - it shows in the way I move my body, the way I navigate the world, and the way I relate to people. This confidence, and the ability to follow through with my healthy choices are the two great gifts of sobriety for me right now.
This is a great post. Sobriety definitely lays the foundations for a number of other positive habits.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Weight loss

Gout subsiding
Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Def noticed bloating in face and stomach go (tho bloating come back a bit since been eating copious amounts of ice cream...hence diet tomorrow lol). Bags under my eyes are better and skin clearer. Xx
Old 02-01-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've had a bunch of positive changes. My skin looks much better. My eyes aren't all blood shot and puffy looking. I've lost weight and toned up. I had something up with my palms where I would get tiny blisters under the skin. Doctor told me it was eczema, it's totally cleared up. My allergies are significantly better which is amazing because it's awful sneezing and be congested all the time. My sleep is deep and restful. I have energy to work out and actually look forward to it. My knee injury is also getting much better!! I'm sure the exercise is helping but I'm convinced that daily drinking was playing a part in the swelling refusing to go down for the last 6 months. 6 weeks sober and it's almost the same size as the other. Remarkable!

I still have some brain fog... for example I dropped my phone in a toilet at a lacrosse game last night doh! I put it in a bowl of rice when I got home and the phone works again but I can't find where I put the backing of the phone and I know I put it somewhere where I wouldn't lose it!!! But for the life of me I can't remember where I put it. And I put it there just a few hours ago when I was cleaning the house...... Things like that.