Notices

Thank heavens I can write to you all over the world!!!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank heavens I can write to you all over the world!!!!!

Dear All on SR.

I am still struggling. I need you and I thank you. I did drink today..and I would like to be Day 1 again tomorrow.

There is someone who posts "You don't have to drink to it." I would like to learn how not to do that.

I have realized that you are some of the kindest, most beautiful people in the universe.

So that I don't go past three glasses of wine now, I am going to eat and read a book and try again tomorrow.

If you don't mind I would like to share my recent holiday communication with my wonderful girl and ask your advice about how to handle intense emotions about the discovery of stuff that has just stunned me in my family.
I can get financial and legal advice but I can't believe my brother and sister would steal from my mother. Of course there is more and the details don't matter, just please share anything you can about how you come to terms with stuff without drinking to it.

As you can see from the letter I shared with my daughter, addiction has run in my family (ok, her nickname is ET from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."). She is struggling from drug addiction went to re-hab and we're trying together.

I am in the middle of a difficult situation with family (who isn't LOL?).
But what it just befuzzling me is the anger and resentment. I know intellectually that anger and resentment will get you drunk.

Can someone please advise me on how to handle anger frustration and resentment towards siblings for illegal and immoral handling of parents property and finances?

Separately I am sharing this because of your support:

This is the most honest communication I have ever written to my daughterr or to anyone.

Regarding addiction:

You see, I know how frustrating it is when one has to live or watch someone live with a disease that takes a life-time of work and diligence. I had so hoped you were a "generation that it had skipped." I knew long before you told me that you had become addicted to something. And to be kindly frank, your addiction was part of my bankruptcy. But as people with this problem, we need to be supportive and not judgmental of each other. I suggest you go to soberrecovery.com and join and read the posts. There is a specific section you can read about drug addiction. You will learn about people with years of sobriety who slipped and got up again and again and again. It isn't just about tough love, it is about learning to love and understand and encourage and support. After you get out of rehab...and I went to outpatient, you think you know and have it licked.

That is the part that I know, from a journey that I never expected but understand now more than ever. I understand that addiction took Daddy, Paula, John Tom, Michael and Emily, my uncle, Daddy and Daddy's father. I have been the only one that has pursued the path of recovery with a recovery community and that is the path I have chosen. I clearly have not done it perfectly (progress, not perfection) but I am proud that I keep making the effort.

So I, want to tell you once and for all, that I am very sorry, have deep regret, am grateful to God that it wasn't worse. But I can't keep apologizing or I can't move forward myself. I did not understand why I needed to numb. It has taken a lot of deep work to understand this and to live life on life's terms. Don't make yourself a victim ET. Go to the library and get Gary Zukov's book "The Heart of the Soul."

Thank you all and see you in the morning. Bless you from my heart...
Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Here's how you don't drink: Don't.

Doesn't matter the circumstances, Don't.

Do. Not. Drink.

Don't care, doesn't matter.

Don't drink.

Period.

"I don't drink" Your new tantra

"I don't drink" Got it?

"I don't drink" That's you, now.

You got that?

Hey, you got that?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by beach20 View Post
Can someone please advise me on how to handle anger frustration and resentment towards siblings for illegal and immoral handling of parents property and finances?
I have this exact situation in my family and I have cut contact. My brother and his son (my nephew) stole money from my dad. They threatened him if he wouldn't give them money and stole what they could. My dad attempted suicide twice. (I live thousands of miles away & my dad would lie to me on the phone about what was going on and I found out most of this when he died). Trying to manage a relationship with my brother was making me crazy. My sanity and peace of mind is more important.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Anna & Trachs