Notices

A month in, strange feelings

Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A month in, strange feelings

Hi all, been awhile since I posted figured I'd share my progress so you guys can hold me accountable. I have been a month sober, feel good, I feel like I have a void inside me though. I get this feeling of insatiable emptiness occasionally and I wonder if its from not drinking/using. Any advice or has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks DB
Old 12-21-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dharmabum exellent job on 1 month sober this was my turning point i knew i could do it and here i am at 17 months 1 week sober

im also nearly 4 years clean from cocaine

That void is normal we have removed something big from our lives and while we recover we try to fill that void with all the stuff that was there before drugs & alcohol took over

early recovery is a rollercoaster ride but stay sober keep working on you and watch what happens

it truly is a miracle

Well done
Old 12-21-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

D.post
Old 12-21-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

These feelings can occur as the effects of alcohol move out of our body and our brain chemistry works on resetting itself back to its natural state.

You are going to have to be patient, but it will pass. Keep,coming back here for support and information!

You can do it, 30'days down already is impressive!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

30 days is great! It is definitely a roller coaster of feelings from emptiness to anxiety and everything in between it seems. I can relate as I am a few days ahead of you in sobriety myself. I think that as time goes on it will get better. Have to find other things to do and be creative as, at least for me I have been so numb for so long, the brain is adjusting to the change. Each day gets better!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome on the 30 days...a major milestone for sure. I echo what the others said in the the bottle was your "friend" for some time and now there is a void. For me this void was filled with a lot of anxiety at certain times of the day that I've had to work through, but being sober makes it worthwhile!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

a month is a huge deal. you will have lots of ups and downs. thats why its called recovery. a major part of your life and routine is gone. you'll feel weird for a while.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Db,
Congrats on a month, thats a great achievement!

Im only a few months into recovery myself and know exactly what you mean about that empty feeling. I guess its understandable. For me, apart from the pysical withdrawal, I felt that I had lost a great friend. There were so many changes in the way I felt about things that at times it became overwhelming. And thats where support was so important - meeting people who had been through it all before but were no longer going through that rollercoaster. That gave me strength and hope.

Alcohol was such an integral part of my life. It helped me get through the tough times (or so I thought lol) and heightened the good times (well maybe in the early days but the good times were getting few and far between as a direct result of it). I think I believed that it would be impossible to truly enjoy life without it, hence the hollow feeling! Glad to say how wrong I was.
Those first few weeks are brutally tough so be kind to yourself. Try to accept that being uncomfortable is an unavoidable part of recovery. Let the feelings happen just try not to get too worried about them. In time that hollow feeling will get less and less.
Stay strong and keep up the great work. Look forward to seeing you around
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. I've had to change my life to fill that void. Volunteering, working on starting a business, exercising (though I didn't have enough energy to really get into it until 3 months). Working on a goal or two and doing things that release happy chemicals are really helpful.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I get this feeling of insatiable emptiness occasionally
Dharmabum2012, 1 month sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. After 4 years 5 months of sobriety I still have the problem of expecting instant satisfaction that the chemicals provided from practically everything I do. Merry Christmas and rootin for ya.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Yep, I'm two months in and got that hole too.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dharmabum, congrats on one month sober. Since I quit drinking (aug 2,14) I have been jogging/running half mile on a treadmill in front of the TV then pushups, .5 mile then curls, .5 mile then crunches.. I do this for 3 miles and it takes about 45 minutes or so. If it wasn't for this I would be pretty miserable. I drank for 18 years and the main difference is my workout. I don't miss that lifestyle one bit.. I have no cravings.

The holidays and my family gets be down (except mom) so yesterday I was feeling bored and kinda sad.. Just a funk. So last night I did my 3 mile workout and then jogged/walked another 3.5 mile and felt strong and in control afterward. This morning my muscles feel tight and I feel great.

For me, and I think for a lot of us, we get this antsy and restless energy that is no good. I have found that only a good workout releases it. At the same time it makes us healthier, feel good and look good. My life is 100% different now.. Leaving my clear mind to address where I am in life and the things that I need to change. New job?, go back to school?, ect... I am also not dating because i am dynamically changing way too much every week and do not need an anchor at any point in this recovery that may hinder my evolution, not to mention that stress takes away emotional control (something i need to not go full default). These are the life situation things that need to be adressed because being unsatisfied with my life and situation is what made it so easy to slip deep into the bottle.

Best of luck,

-SC
Old 12-21-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

My drinking and drugging was actually about trying to fill that void.
Futile of course - it was bottomless.

I've had way greater success in trying to heal it...but healing takes time.

Think about ways to enrich and give meaning to your life...then follow some of those ideas. It's worth it

D
Old 12-21-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi All ..
This thread is just what I needed to read today. DharamBum I am feeling this and so many other emotions today at day 15. Up until this point I was feeling really great and excited and proud of myself ...then today I just feel teary eyed & a little pissed off.

I understand the "friend" analogy but to be quite honest I am angry that I allowed this "friend" to treat me the way it did. What kind of friend preys on you when you are feeling weak, promises to help you feel better and leaves you in the depths of hell when it is "done" with you. Then is right there the next time you are down (or still down) to drag you under again and again and again. Kind of an abusive relationship.

Not for me- Not any more -- alcohol and I broke up -
threw it all out and changed the locks......

F*%$#^K ALCOHOL

ok ...sorry.... I feel better just typing that & venting a bit --
~ hope you all don't mind ~ deep breath........

SoberComposer I am hoping to add that physical release to temper my restless energy but I do not have the motivation for it yet. Its as if I am watching myself from the outside and feeling things that have been brushed under the rug for too long. Hopefully soon.

everyone is doing so good - I am enjoying reading everyone successes and the support for everyone joining and rejoining this group ...

thanks for listening...
Old 12-21-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I really appreciate it . I have found exercise to be a tremendous help. Although there is still times when that void is present even after a good run or weight session. Thanks for all your input very helpful to hear I'm not alone in this feeling!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi seasky I'm glad we can relate, It's definitely a strange feeling having an inanimate object control your life and how we view it as a friend. We just need to stay strong and remember how F%^&ing horrible we felt after. Nothing good comes from alcohol it is all a fake!