Notices

Going the distance...

Old 12-21-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going the distance...

I know an increasing number of folks who are sober and also distance runners..... I'm one too.

I don't think there's any better outlet for stress and anxiety. I don't know of any better, simpler, more accessible and affordable thing we can do.

Not in running shape? Start by walking. Even just spending the afternoon on a distance walk yields incredible benefits for body, mind and soul. Gradually add distance, add a light pack, add a heavier pack, add in a little light jogging on the walk..... Before you know it you may be running ultras.

We were born to run... So why do so many of us sit in misery.

Try adding some distance to your recovery..... You won't be sorry.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fall of 2015 I'll 'officially' be able to call myself an Ultra Marathoner.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
Fall of 2015 I'll 'officially' be able to call myself an Ultra Marathoner.
Right on! Hopefully me too... Sept!

A friend in my home group is on his 19th state of his goal: an ultra in all 50 states. He has over 30 years sobriety....
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a great post. I am far from distance runner. I am far from running. Hell, I can't even get out and walk.

But I have been considering starting. Just need to get over this stomach bug. I got a bicycle as an early Christmas present, I got running shoes and this message. Someone is trying to tell me something.

Jennifer
Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
This is a great post. I am far from distance runner. I am far from running. Hell, I can't even get out and walk.

But I have been considering starting. Just need to get over this stomach bug. I got a bicycle as an early Christmas present, I got running shoes and this message. Someone is trying to tell me something.

Jennifer
Like Nike said; just do it.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

You're so right, freeowl!

I've always been an avid runner...even when I was drinking. I used running with a hangover as a punishment for being a worthless drunk!

Now, I'm back to running because I LOVE it! I do some of my best thinking while running!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I jump. Broad jumps, splits, hanging verticals, bounds, drops, push-up hops, I jump. It's fun.

Bunnez
Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to be a marathoner and a gym rat, but cannot get that mindset back since I quit drinking. It seems that when I get into anything that puts me in the "Drive" mindset, it triggers me. I'm hoping to find a way to get back that fitness lifestyle without it triggering by getting that perfectionist and drive mindset. Time is my friend, I believe. Has anyone else dealt with this? My thoughts are that things will balance out eventually.

Anyway, GREAT post. I hope to be joining you on training runs (virtually, of course) soon.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
You're so right, freeowl!

I've always been an avid runner...even when I was drinking. I used running with a hangover as a punishment for being a worthless drunk!

Now, I'm back to running because I LOVE it! I do some of my best thinking while running!
Oh, brynn. . . . THIS was me.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
I used to be a marathoner and a gym rat, but cannot get that mindset back since I quit drinking. It seems that when I get into anything that puts me in the "Drive" mindset, it triggers me. I'm hoping to find a way to get back that fitness lifestyle without it triggering by getting that perfectionist and drive mindset. Time is my friend, I believe. Has anyone else dealt with this? My thoughts are that things will balance out eventually.

Anyway, GREAT post. I hope to be joining you on training runs (virtually, of course) soon.
It's taken me a while too... Recovery itself takes up a lot of energy and focus I used to pour into exercise. Kind of ironic having more energy when sleeping less and destroying my body with booze..... But over the course of a year as my recovery has deepened I'm getting it back. Running with other sober runners helps. Keeping it as a clear goal helps. You'll get there.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post! It made me want to go exercise! I've been walking about 5 miles a day for the past few days. I wish I could run but my knees are already bad at a young age from snow skiing since I was 5.

I've always wanted to run a 5k (or marathon! Haha) but don't think my knees will allow it. It hurts when I run. :-( But they are fine when I walk (or power walk) so I don't need surgery....yet...

Anyway....run for me and I will power walk for you! :-)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Only going to run if something's chasing me. But, I do backpack. Days on end with me, my pack and my feet. Miles are nothing. And I love it.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ya**!

The best buzzes I've ever had were from running. After the first couple miles that high kicks in and you just feel incredibly light and free.

Been lifting heavy these days but after reading your posts maybe I'll adjust. Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by Tonks; 12-21-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-21-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

#feelinginspired

I'm excited to get it all back. One day at a time. In the meantime, nice long walks.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post

I run trails rather than roads.

This allows me to enjoy the scenery, gets me out of my own 'head' since I have to concentrate on and in the moment to stay upright, and results in me focusing on distance and acheivement rather than 'time'. The pace of every mile is invariably different based on the topography of the trail.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
I run trails rather than roads.

This allows me to enjoy the scenery, gets me out of my own 'head' since I have to concentrate on and in the moment to stay upright, and results in me focusing on distance and acheivement rather than 'time'. The pace of every mile is invariably different based on the topography of the trail.
Totally! Trails are harder this time of year for me since the snow makes it tough to find runnable routes. Just back from a 10.5 with a sober runner friend though. Half paved half trails... I love and far prefer the trails for all the reasons you just listed. Running with a friend, good conversation the whole time, the nourishment of nature all g the way..... There's nothing better
Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I've been thinking that I want to move towards running -used to enjoy distance running at school. I think I'm too overweight still at the moment, but I walk a lot.

Maybe I' ll try a little jog next time. Thank you so much for the inspiration, Freeowl.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been a dancer all my life and I couldn't live without dancing.

I walk long distances, too, but no running.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No running for me but I love walking.

When I read your post, FreeOwl, I thought of two things:

1. "Run, Forest, Run" - especially the moment when the braces began to break away from Forest Gump's legs.

2. The Southwest Airlines commercial where you hear the 'bing' and then the message "You are free to move about the country".

Oh the freedom we have when released from the braces and constraints of addiction!!!!