Notices

Quitting drinking AND smoking

Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking AND smoking

My name is Susan, and I am an alcoholic. I am working on day 7 of sobriety.

On the very same day I decided to quit drinking, I also decided to quit smoking cigarettes.

I am still sober. I have smoked. I only lasted 3 days without one.

I don't want to beat myself up about it, as I feel the need to focus on one problem at a time -- and right now sobriety is the most important thing.

I struggle though with continuing to smoke. I feel as though it is a continuation of the self destructive mentality, and that I don't love myself enough to quit and be truly healthy -- mind, body and soul. I worry that if I keep feeling this way, I will start self loathing again and pick up a drink.

Any words of wisdom, encouragement, similar experience?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I'm on day 23 of no drinking and day 14 no cigarettes. I have been using an e-cig though and it helps a lot with the cravings. I feel like I'm going crazy at times but I feel like they are helping each other. If I can say no to one I can say no to the other and it makes me feel strong. But that may just be the way I look at it. If you think quitting smoking is in anyway putting your sobriety at risk then focus on that.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 7 Susan!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
Choosing to quit both at the same time is a very large accomplishment to handle IMO.
Personally I’d give my all to not drinking one day at a time in a row.
For many that’s an overwhelming gift to accomplish. You can always stop smoking in six months or so.

I hope you have long range plans for continued sobriety as that is different path than just stopping drinking.

BE WELL
Old 12-26-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats, on your 7 days sobriety. I waited till quite a while after quitting alcohol before trying the smoking habit. It was just as hard to quit smoking frankly. I ended up taking the wellbutrin drug to finally stay off nicotine. Good luck to you and please stay safe (and sober) New years !!! MJM
Old 12-26-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe in separating the two challenges. I'm on day 133 without alcohol, and quit smoking 79 days ago.

Yes. We do want to get to the place in which we love ourselves so much that we are able to protect and nurture our physical being from toxins.

But...there is no way that I could just wake up one day and be there. My addictions (particularly to cigarettes) have been part of my response to the world since my early teens, decades of relying on tobacco emotionally.

For me, alcohol and tobacco were woven together (one beer and one cigarette, one glass of wine and one cigarette) - timed together. I couldn't imagine drinking alcohol without the accompanying cigarette. I had stopped smoking in most other venues of my life (never at work, or in the car, or visible in town, etc.), but at the end of my drinking, my project each evening was settling in with a bottle of wine and my cigarettes, as much part of my ritual as exercise is for some people.

Once I'd quit alcohol for a bit, I had the strength and courage to let the smokes go. They had become less relevant without alcohol. It still was not easy! My tension would rise in my chest, and the desperation with which I craved a cig was far more intense than any craving for alcohol.

I'm glad that I separated the experiences. I was able to focus more on each quitting experience. They (alcohol and cigarettes) while often coordinated in my using patterns, actually "resolved" or "held" different emotional conflicts/parts of me.

Now I'm in month 4, and am dealing with food and exercise. I don't have difficulties eating clean or committing to exercise, but really struggle with daily consistency. Like many addicts, I veer to and from extremes. Trying to create a manageable and steady exercise habit which is integrated with my life, allows rest and makes space for my commitment to other recovery environments (meetings, etc.) requires attention.

I'm running a marathon, not a sprint here.

I'm trying to create a sustainable healthy lifestyle which reflects who I am. It has elements from other people and sources, but I'm trying to construct it to fully reflect my tendencies and interests. I want to be completely authentic. I want to create a life which feels natural and right, but which represents that self-love which puts my health and grounded contentment first.

Bit by bit, piece by piece....
Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Susan when i got sober i started keeping a journal of how i was feeling i attended group addiction therapy i spoke to a local acohol addiction team i went to meetings i done everything i could to remain sober esp in early days ie when i got urges to drink i picked up the phone and said to someone help its on me ....reaching out is vital in the early days

and well done on day 7 sober

You might like to read & print this link off it is very useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit drinking and smoking around the same time with a relapse in both. Currently not doing either. An electronic cig helps with the smoking. Just get a low nic content one.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on 95 days sober, 26 w/o nicotine. Give yourself a break and focus on just your sobriety for awhile and don't get caught up in all or nothing measures of success trying to conquer too many demons at once. I tried a lot of times to kick both poisons at once, and radically changing diet, etc.at the same time. Too much pressure.

Just don't drink. That is a major undertaking alone and a great first step to an all around healthy lifestyle. Best of lick to you. You can do it.

Earlyriser
Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried to do both.

I relapsed two weeks in. Someone here put it to me the best...concentrate on the booze. Quit smoking later. At least if you smoke it "doesn't alter your presence". I am a smoking person with 89 days in sobriety. I'll get to the big smoke quit when I'm ready.

Jennifer
Old 12-26-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stopped both at once - it made sense for me to do it that way as I really only smoked when I drank.

Others find that too much and quit one and then the other - whatever works for you really.

D