Notices

Transition to sobriety- day one

Old 12-20-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Transition to sobriety- day one

Following a number of increasingly drunken episodes over the past 18 months I have decided that sobriety is my only option to stop it happening again.

I have realised I am unable to control my drinking. Its as though a green light goes on in head that gives me the right to get completely drunk without limits.

After the episodes I feel deeply ashamed,embarrassed and lots of self-hatred. I would really appreciate any words of support for making the transition from drinker to someone sober.

I am also worried as we are coming up to Christmas and any ways to manage and avoid pressures from friends and family are much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you strength,

It takes awhile to realize that we simply do not drink like regular people. We just don't. Regular drinkers begin to feel uncomfortable after two or three drinks. They've had their bit of fun and stop without even thinking about it.

Like you, once I had the green light, I would drink them like the next would be better than the last. The enjoyment kept increasing up to eight, twelve, fourteen drinks. Basically until I passed out and blacked out. It's this weird phenomenon but it just is what it is. Not drinking anymore is such a relief. Glad you are here.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome xx
Old 12-20-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You did the hardest and most important step, admitting to yourself that something is off with your relationship with the bottle.

Unlike cancer, Alcohol addiction can be cured 100%. As long as you don't take that first drink, you are out of the woods.

Now to be honest, the above sounds simple, but it's not. It requires support, you can find it in AA, Smart recovery groups, non 12 step programs like AVRT, or like many others reading and posting daily on SR.

I recommend you try different solutions until you find one you are comfortable with. Like a pair of shoes.

All the best
Old 12-20-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I drank like you. For twenty five years, in the end daily. Alcoholism has a progressive component, so you're wise to realize you may have a problem now.
I had that green light, too. After a few days of recovering from the last drunk, I was like 'Hey, I can handle it, I've been sober four days'. But the four days were of misery, Anxiety, remorse and regret. That's when I went full on, drinking most every day.
Doing shots of whiskey at 8am. Real social drinking, eh?

The above mentioned programs can really help. So can coming here.
I had to reach the epitome of abject alcoholism before I could begin to recover.
Please don't wait until you reach the lows I did. Alcoholism can't be cured. If I took a drink I'd be right back to where I was in short order. But we can be given a daily reprieve from drinking, and that's what I do. It's been four years now, and believe me I was at the end a pathetic drunk and everyone knew it.

Best to you and stick around here. Stopping drinking is attainable and it sounds like you have the willingness, that's a great start. The holidays may be hard but I deal with that with three words- I don't drink.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are in the right place. A lot of us drank just like you. A lot of us are sober and share tips and support for each other. Stick around.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
Good advice above and unfortunately they are experienced by us here or at meeting.

Alcohol is called powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious for good reason.

I first needed to get honest with myself about my drinking AND accept the fact that I can not drink alcohol in safety.

Then comes the work to STAY sober one day at a time in a row. That we learn here reading posts and at meetings where other alcoholics understand us because everyone has had a first day sober.

In the beginning things get tough but very doable and we get hope each day after which it does get much easier each day we don’t drink.

BE WELL
Old 12-20-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

In the early days of my sobriety it helped to spend a lot of time on this website. Head on over to the Newcomers Daily section and join the "Class of December" group for extra support.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Strength, to SR.

Great advice above.

SR is 24/7/365; there is always someone here who understands, who cares, and who truly wants to see you succeed.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Strength

The best way to resist pressure is to have a strong sober support base to call upon.

I'd also be a little bit careful about what invitations you accept and, while I don't recommend the whole 'HEYS GUYS I'M AN ALCOHOLIC' speech, I think it does no harm to let people know you're having a dry Xmas - I personally don't think you need an excuse at all, but many people use 'health reasons', 'on a diet/trying to get fit'.

There are some good tips on staying sober at social occasions here (don't mind the title)
Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

I never thought I'd have an alcohol free Xmas...I must have 8 by now...
You can do this
D
Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Strength - we're so glad you're here.

That's how it was for me, too - each time it got in my system there was no telling what might happen. The only safe thing to do was to stop all together. I could no longer trust myself, and there was no control. It's a huge relief to be free of it. The fun ended long ago.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome strength. SR is a great support system. One day at a time. You can do this.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Strenght nice to meet you

Youl find a ton of support here
Old 12-22-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support. I'm in tears here, knowing that I've reached an important place in my life and that I finally need to sort myself out. No more excuses or attempts to reduce my alcohol use. It's just so reassuring to know that I'm not alone. I'll try to hook up with an AA meeting as well. I feel better equipped for getting through but I'll keep trying to take it one day at a time.

Thank you, I only hope I can offer others the same support.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

You could go to a mtn tonight it would really help

Acceptance is key knowing i cant drink alcohol safely or responsibly really is important

Good luck strenght
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Strength.
I'm on day 2 ....
Have tried many times to moderate = epic fail .....
I am slowly (and I mean slowly) realising, that the only way is to stop altogether.....and it's a relief....to finally come to terms with it.
I will be having a dry Christmas aswell - I know I'm going to get stick and folks will be saying "come on it's Christmas - just have the one ... " .
I'll be having my Shloer gape juice or soda & blackcurrant.
My liver, kidneys, stomach & nervous system will be delighted....
One day at a time - you can do this .... you'll get a ton of support here .... we're all walking the same path.
Take Care
Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Strength

Good to have you with us .